Estimation of Power Reduction by On-Chip Transmission Line for 45nm Technology
This paper evaluates the feasibility of on-chip transmission-line interconnect at 45nm CMOS technology. Circuit performances tend to depend heavily on global interconnects, and power and delay of global interconnects are increased due to the miniaturization of process technology. On-chip transmission line has been proposed, which can improve such the large delay and large power consumption of the long RC interconnects. The improvement has been evaluated only for a single interconnect. In this paper, the total power reduction of the entire circuit is evaluated for 45nm technology, which is based on the measurement results at 180nm technology. As an example, the power consumption of global interconnects is improved by 6.6% on a circuit designed for 45nm process.
KeywordsPower Consumption Transmission Line Power Reduction Wire Length Boundary Length
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Ito, H., Inoue, J., Gomi, S., Sugita, H., Okada, K., Masu, K.: On-Chip transmission line for long global interconnects. In: IEEE International Electron Devices Meeting Technical Digest, San Francisco, CA, pp. 677–680 (2004)Google Scholar
- 2.Gomi, S., Nakamura, K., Ito, H., Okada, K., Masu, K.: Differential transmission line interconnect for high speed and low power global wiring. In: Proceedings of IEEE Custom Integrated Circuits Conference, Orlando, FL, pp. 325–328 (2004)Google Scholar
- 3.Ito, H., Sugita, H., Okada, K., Masu, K.: 4 Gbps on-chip interconnection using differential transmission line. In: Proceedings of IEEE Asian Solid-State Circuits Conference, Hsinchu, Taiwan, pp. 417–420 (2005)Google Scholar
- 4.Ito, H., Nakamura, K., Okada, K., Masu, K.: High density differential transmission line structure on Si ULSI. IEICE Transaction on Electronics E87-C, 942–948 (2004)Google Scholar
- 5.Uezono, T., Inoue, J., Kyogoku, T., Okada, K., Masu, K.: Prediction of delay time for future LSI using On-Chip transmission line interconnects. In: Proceedings of IEEE International Workshop on System Level Interconnect Prediction, San Francisco, CA, pp. 7–12 (2005)Google Scholar
- 6.Inoue, J., Ito, H., Gomi, S., Kyogoku, T., Uezono, T., Okada, K., Masu, K.: Evaluation of On-Chip transmission line interconnect using wire length distribution. In: Proceedings of IEEE/ACM Asia and South Pacific Design Automation Conference, Shanghai, China, pp. 133–138 (2005)Google Scholar
- 8.Bakoglu, H.B.: Circuits, Intreconnections, and Packaging for VLSI. Addison-Wesley, Reading (1990)Google Scholar
- 9.Cheng, C.K., Lillis, J., Lin, S., Chang, N.: Interconnect Analysis and Synthesis. A Wiley-Interscience Publication, Chichester (2000)Google Scholar