MPI/CTP: A Reconfigurable MPI for HPC Applications
Modern MPI applications have diverse communication requirements, with trends showing that they are moving from static communication requirements to more dynamic and evolving communication requirements. However, MPI libraries, which integrate MPI applications with the hardware, are not flexible enough to accommodate these diverse needs. This lack of flexibility leads to degraded performance of the applications. In this paper, we present the design of a protocol development framework and an MPI library implemented using our proposed framework that support compile-time and boot-time protocol configuration, as well as runtime protocol reconfiguration based on dynamic application requirements. Experimental results on the initial prototype of this design show that this prototype is able to dynamically reconfigure at runtime to optimize bandwidth under changing MPI requirements.
KeywordsTransport Protocol Event Handler Outgoing Message Rendezvous Protocol Protocol Switch
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Brightwell, R., Underwood, K.: Evaluation of an eager protocol optimization for MPI. In: Recent Advances in Parallel Virtual Machine and Message Passing Interface: Tenth European PVM/MPI Users’ Group Meeting (2003)Google Scholar
- 3.Hiltunen, M.A., Wong, G.T., Schlichting, R.D.: Dynamic messages: An abstraction for complex communication protocols. Software: Practice and Experience (submitted for publication) (2001)Google Scholar
- 4.Wong, G.T., Hiltunen, M.A., Schlichting, R.D.: A configurable and extensible transport protocol. In: Proceedings of IEEE INFOCOM 2001, Anchorage, Alaska, pp. 319–328 (2001)Google Scholar
- 5.Bridges, P.G., Hiltunen, M.A., Schlichting, R.D., Wong, G.T., Barrick, M.: A configurable and extensible transport protocol. In: revision for ACM/IEEE Transactions on Networking (2005)Google Scholar
- 6.Graham, R.L., Woodall, T.S., Squyres, J.M.: Open MPI: A flexible high performance MPI. In: Proceedings, 6th Annual International Conference on Parallel Processing and Applied Mathematics, Poznan, Poland (2005)Google Scholar
- 7.Wu, R., Chien, A., Hiltunen, M., Schlichting, R., Sen, S.: A high performance configurable transport protocol for Grid computing. In: Proceedings of the Fifth IEEE International Symposium on Cluster Computing and the Grid (CCGrid 2005), Cardiff, Wales (2005)Google Scholar
- 8.Maccabe, A.B., Bridges, P.G., Brightwell, R., Riesen, R., Hudson, T.: Highly configurable operating systems for ultrascale systems. In: Proceedings of the First International Workshop on Operating Systems, Programming Environments, and Management Tools for High-Performance Computing on Clusters (2004)Google Scholar