A Pattern Learning Approach to Question Answering Within the Ephyra Framework
This paper describes the Ephyra question answering engine, a modular and extensible framework that allows to integrate multiple approaches to question answering in one system. Our framework can be adapted to languages other than English by replacing language-specific components. It supports the two major approaches to question answering, knowledge annotation and knowledge mining. Ephyra uses the web as a data resource, but could also work with smaller corpora. In addition, we propose a novel approach to question interpretation which abstracts from the original formulation of the question. Text patterns are used to interpret a question and to extract answers from text snippets. Our system automatically learns the patterns for answer extraction, using question-answer pairs as training data. Experimental results revealed the potential of this approach.
KeywordsQuestion Answering Query Formation Answer Pattern Context Object Query String
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Voorhees, E., Buckland, L.: The 14th Text REtrieval Conference Proceedings (2005)Google Scholar
- 2.Zheng, Z.: Answerbus question answering system. In: Proceedings of the Human Language Technology Conference (2002)Google Scholar
- 3.Brill, E., Lin, J., Banko, M., Dumais, S., Ng, A.: Data-intensive question answering. In: Proceedings of the 10th Text Retrieval Conference (2001)Google Scholar
- 4.Lin, J., Fernandes, A., Katz, B., Marton, G., Tellex, S.: Extracting answers from the web using knowledge annotation and knowledge mining techniques. In: Proceedings of the 11th Text Retrieval Conference (2002)Google Scholar
- 5.Zhang, D., Lee, W.: Web based pattern mining and matching approach to question answering. In: Proceedings of the 11th Text Retrieval Conference (2002)Google Scholar
- 6.Voorhees, E., Tice, D.: The TREC-8 question answering track evaluation. In: Proceedings of the 8th Text Retrieval Conference (1999)Google Scholar