Building Korean Classifier Ontology Based on Korean WordNet
Being commonly used in most languages, the classifier must be reexamined using semantic classes from ontology. However, few studies have dealt with the semantic categorization of classifiers and their semantic relations to nouns, which they quantify and characterize in building ontology. In this paper, we propose the semantic recategorization of numeral classifiers in Korean and present the construction of a classifier ontology based on large corpora and KorLex 1.5 (Korean WordNet). As a result, a Korean classifier ontology containing semantic hierarchies and the relations of classifiers was constructed. This is the first Korean classifier ontology, and its size is appropriate for natural language processing. In addition, each of the individual classifiers has a connection to nouns or noun classes that are quantified by the classifiers.
KeywordsNoun Phrase Semantic Relation Semantic Category Semantic Feature Large Corpus
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 2.Bond, F., Paik, K.: Classifying correspondence in Japanese and Korean. In: 3rd Pacific Association for Computational Linguistics Conference: PACLING 1997, pp. 58–67 (1997)Google Scholar
- 3.Bond, F., Paik, K.: Reusing an ontology to generate numeral classifiers. In: Proceedings of the 18th Conference on Computational Linguistics, pp. 90–96 (2000)Google Scholar
- 4.Chae, W.: A Study on Numerals and Numeral Classifier Constructions in Korean, Linguistics Study 19–1, 19–34 (1983)Google Scholar
- 7.Guo, H., Zhong, H.: Chinese Classifier Assignment using SVMs. In: The Fourth SIGHAN Workshop on Chinese Language Processing (2005), http://www.cs.sunysb.edu/~huguo/papers/ChineseClassifier.pdf
- 8.Hovy, E.: Methodologies for the Reliable Construction of Ontological Knowledge. In: Proceedings of ICCS 2005, pp. 91–106 (2005)Google Scholar
- 12.Lyons, J.: Semantics 1. Cambridge University Press, Cambridge (1979)Google Scholar
- 14.Nirenburg, S., Raskin, V.: Ontological semantics. MIT Press, Cambridge (2004)Google Scholar
- 15.Sowa, J.F.: Knowledge Representation. Brooks Cole Publishing Co., Pacific Grove (2000)Google Scholar