An Evolutionary Approach to Shimming Undulator Magnets for Synchrotron Radiation Sources
Undulator magnets shimming is a stage of the undulator production cycle that has a major influence on the quality of a synchrotron radiation. Despite the high complexity of the underlying decision making process, shimming is traditionally performed in a semi-empirical way using a high level expert knowledge. Such a labor intensive approach introduces additional cost and delay in undulator production. The present study introduces an automated decision making procedure for shimming based on an appropriate formalization of this task. Our approach consists in formulating the corresponding constrained optimization problem, which can be efficiently solved by an evolutionary algorithm using 3D magnetostatic methods and magnetic measurement for fitness calculation. Such automation allows us to reduce the time and cost of the undulator production and it leads to results of a quality level that is hardly attainable empirically considering the high complexity of the optimization problem.
KeywordsSynchrotron Radiation Variation Operator Synchrotron Radiation Source Constraint Handling Electron Trajectory
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 4.Elleaume, P.: Undulator Radiation. In: Onuki, H., Elleaume, P. (eds.) Undulators, Wigglers and their Applications, Taylor and Francis, Abington (2003)Google Scholar
- 6.Holland, J.H.: Outline for a logical theory of adaptive systems. Journal of the association of computing machinery 3, 297–314 (1962)Google Scholar
- 7.Joines, J.A., Houck, C.R.: On the Use of Non-Stationary Penalty Functions to Solve Nonlinear Constrained Optimization Problems With GAs. In: Michalewicz, Z., et al. (eds.) ICEC 1994 proceedings, pp. 579–584. IEEE Press, Los Alamitos (1994)Google Scholar
- 8.Sasaki, S.: Analyses for a planar variably-polarizing undulator. Nuclear Instruments and Methods in Physics Research A347, 83–86 (1994)Google Scholar
- 9.Schoenauer, M., Xanthakis, S.: Constrained GA Optimization. In: Forrest, S. (ed.) ICGA 1993 proceedings, pp. 573–580. Morgan Kaufmann, San Francisco (1993)Google Scholar
- 10.Synchrotron Soleil: Machine Devision, http://www.synchrotron-soleil.fr/anglais/machine/accelerators/insertion-devices/index.html