Managing Process Variants as an Information Resource
Many business solutions provide best practice process templates, both generic as well as for specific industry sectors. However, it is often the variance from template solutions that provide organizations with intellectual capital and competitive differentiation. In this paper, we present a modeling framework that is conducive to constrained variance, by supporting user driven process adaptations. The focus of the paper is on providing a means of utilizing the adaptations effectively for process improvement through effective management of the process variants repository (PVR). In particular, we will provide deliberations towards a facility to provide query functionality for PVR that is specifically targeted for effective search and retrieval of process variants.
KeywordsProcess Variant Information Resource Intellectual Capital Manage Business Process Reduction Rule
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Lu, R., Sadiq, S., Padmanabhan, V., Governatori, G.: Using a Temporal Constraint Network for Increased Flexibility in Business Process Execution. In: Proc. Seventeenth Australasian Database Conference (ADC 2006), Hobart, Australia (2006)Google Scholar
- 4.Lu, R., Sadiq, S.: On Managing Process Variants as an Information Resource. Technical Report, No.TR-464, School of Information Technology and Electrical Engineering, The University of Queensland (2006)Google Scholar
- 5.Lu, R., Sadiq, S., Governatori, G.: Utilizing Successful Work Practices as an Information Resource. In: Proc. 9th International Conference on Business Information Systems (BIS 2006), Klagenfurt, Austria (2006)Google Scholar
- 6.Leymann, F., Altenhuber, W.: Managing Business Processes as an Information Resource. IBM Systems Journal 33(2) (1994)Google Scholar
- 7.Casati, F.: Industry Trends in Business Process Management: Getting Ready for Prime Time. In: Proc. 16th International Workshop on Database and Expert Systems Applications (DEXA 2005), Copenhagen, Denmark (2005)Google Scholar