In this paper we introduce and study cooperative variants of the Traveling Salesperson Problem. In these problems a salesperson has to make deliveries to customers who are willing to help in the process. Customer cooperativeness may be manifested in several modes: they may assist by approaching the salesperson, by reselling the goods they purchased to other customers, or by doing both.
Several objectives are of interest: minimizing the total distance traveled by all the participants, minimizing the maximal distance traveled by a participant and minimizing the total time until all the deliveries are made.
All the combinations of cooperation-modes and objective functions are considered, both in weighted undirected graphs and in Euclidean space. We show that most of the problems have a constant approximation algorithm, many of the others admit a PTAS, and a few are solvable in polynomial time. On the intractability side we provide NP-hardness proofs and inapproximability factors, some of which are tight.
KeywordsPixel Center Goal Function Travel Salesperson Problem Weighted Undirected Graph Cooperation Mode
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- [ABF+02]Arkin, E.M., Bender, M.A., Fekete, S.P., Mitchell, J.S.B., Skutella, M.: The Freeze-Tag Problem: How to Wake Up a Swarm of Robots. In: Proc. of SODA 2002, pp. 568–577 (2002)Google Scholar
- [ABG+03]Arkin, E.M., Bender, M.A., Ge, D., He, S., Mitchell, J.S.B.: Improved Approximation Algorithms or the Freeze-Tag Problem. In: SPAA 2003, pp. 295–303 (2003)Google Scholar
- [BNGNS98]Bar-Noy, A., Guha, S., Naor, J., Schieber, B.: Multicasting in Heterogeneous Networks. In: Proc. of STOC 1998, pp. 448–453 (1998)Google Scholar
- [Cha03]Chan, T.M.: Euclidean Bounded-Degree Spanning Tree Ratios. In: Proc. 19th ACM SoCG, pp. 11–19 (2003)Google Scholar
- [Chr76]Christofides, N.: Worst-Case Analysis of a New Heuristic for the Traveling Salesman Problem. Technical report, Graduate School of Industrial Administration, Carnegy–Mellon University (1976)Google Scholar
- [DM01]Dumitrescu, A., Mitchell, J.S.B.: Approximation Algorithms for TSP with Neighborhoods in the Plane. In: Proc. of SODA 2001, pp. 38–46 (2001)Google Scholar
- [Mit06]Mitchell, J.S.B.: A PTAS for TSP with Neighborhoods Among Fat Regions in the Plane. Private communication (2006)Google Scholar
- [MM95]Mata, C., Mitchell, J.S.B.: Approximation Algorithms for Geometric Tour and Network Design Problems. In: SCG 1995, pp. 360–369 (1995)Google Scholar
- [Rav94]Ravi, R.: Rapid Rumor Ramification: Approximating the Minimum Broadcast Time. In: Proc. of FOCS 1994, pp. 202–213 (1994)Google Scholar