A Relevance Feedback Approach for Content Based Image Retrieval Using Gaussian Mixture Models
In this paper a new relevance feedback (RF) methodology for content based image retrieval (CBIR) is presented. This methodology is based on Gaussian Mixture (GM) models for images. According to this methodology, the GM model of the query is updated in a probabilistic manner based on the GM models of the relevant images, whose relevance degree (positive or negative) is provided by the user. This methodology uses a recently proposed distance metric between probability density functions (pdfs) that can be computed in closed form for GM models. The proposed RF methodology takes advantage of the structure of this metric and proposes a method to update it very efficiently based on the GM models of the relevant and irrelevant images characterized by the user. We show with experiments the merits of the proposed methodology.
KeywordsGaussian Mixture Model Image Retrieval Relevance Feedback Content Base Image Retrieval Relevant Image
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Ishikawa, Y., Subramanya, R., Faloutsos, C.: MindReader: Querying databases through multiple examples. Presented at the 24th VLDB Conf. 1998 (1998)Google Scholar
- 17.Qian, F., Li, M., Zhang, L., Zhang, H.J., Zhang, B.: Gaussian mixture model for relevance feedback in image retrieval. Presented at the IEEE ICME (August 2002)Google Scholar
- 18.Bishop, C.M.: Neural Networks for Pattern Recognition. Oxford Univ. Press Inc., New York (1995)Google Scholar
- 19.McLachlan, G.M., Peel, D.: Finite Mixture Models. John Wiley & Sons, Inc., New York (2001)Google Scholar
- 20.Bimbo, A.D.: Visual Information Retrieval. Morgan Kaufmann, San Mateo (1999)Google Scholar
- 21.Sfikas, G., Constantinopoulos, C., Likas, A., Galatsanos, N.P.: An Analytic Distance Metric With Application In Image Retrieval For Gaussian Mixture Models. In: International Conference Artificial Neural Networks (2005)Google Scholar