New Phenemenon on Power Transformers and Fault Identification Using Artificial Neural Networks
In this paper voltage recovery after voltage dip that cause magnetizing inrush current which is a new phenomenon in power transformers are discussed and a new technique is proposed to distinquish internal fault conditions from no-fault conditions that is also containing these new phenomenons. The proposed differential algorithm is based on Artificial Neural Network (ANN). The training and testing data sets are obtained using SIMPOW-STRI power system simulation program and laboratory transformer. A novel neural network is designed and trained using back-propagation algorithm. It is seen that the proposed network is well trained and able to discriminate no-fault examples from fault examples with high accuracy.
KeywordsArtificial Neural Network Harmonic Component Power Transformer Internal Fault Fault Identification
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Kulidjian, A., Kasztenny, B., Campbell, B.: New Magnetizing Inrush Restraining Algorithm for Power Transformer Protection. IEEE Developments in Power Sys. Protec. Conf (2001)Google Scholar
- 2.Zhigian, B., Geoff, W., Tom, L.: A New Technique for Transformer Protection Based on Transient Detection. IEEE Transactions on Power Delivery 15(3) (July 2000)Google Scholar
- 3.Perez, G., Flechsig, A.J., Meador, J.L., Obradovic, Z.: Training an Artificial Neural Network to Discriminate Between Magnetizing Inrush and Internal Faults. IEEE Transactions on Power Delivery 9(1) (January 1994)Google Scholar
- 4.Pihler, J., Grcar, B., Dolinar, D.: Improved Operation of Power Transformer Protection Using Artificial Neural Network. IEEE Transac. on Power Delivery 2(3) (July 1997)Google Scholar
- 5.Orille-Fernandez, A., Ghonaim, N.K.L., Valencia, J.A.: A FIRANN as a Differential Relay for Three Phase Power Transformer Protection. IEEE Transac. on Power Delivery 16(2) (April 2001)Google Scholar
- 6.Guasch, L., Pedra, J.: Effects of Symmetrical Voltage Sags on Three-Phase Three-Legged Transformers. IEEE Transac. on Power Delivery 19(2) (April 2004)Google Scholar