Application of Radial Basis Function Networks for Wind Power Forecasting
In this paper, an advanced system based on artificial intelligence and fuzzy logic techniques is developed to predict the wind power output of a wind farm. A fuzzy logic model is applied first to check the reliability of the numerical weather predictions (NWPs) and to split them in two sub-sets, of good and bad quality NWPs, respectively. Two Radial Basis Function (RBF) neural networks, one for each sub-set are trained next to estimate the wind power. Results from a real wind farm are presented and the added value of the proposed method is demonstrated by comparison with alternative methods.
KeywordsWind Speed Hide Layer Wind Turbine Wind Power Fuzzy Model
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 2.IEA Wind Energy Annual Report (2003)Google Scholar
- 3.Wind Energy: The Facts, An Analysis of Wind Energy in the EU-25, EWEA (2004)Google Scholar
- 4.Wind Power Outlook (2004), http://www.awea.org
- 5.Karayiannis, N.B., Balasubramanian, M., Malki, H.A.: Short-term electric power load forecasting based on cosine radial basis function neural networks: An experimental evaluation. International journal of intelligence systems 20(9), 591–605Google Scholar
- 6.Wadge, E., Kodogiannis, V.: Extended Normalised Radial Basis Function for Short Term Load Forecasting. Proc. (429) Modelling, Simulation, and Optimization (2004)Google Scholar
- 8.Giebel, G., Landberg, L., Kariniotakis, G., Brownsword, R.: State-of-the-Art on Methods and Software Tools for Short-Term Prediction of Wind Energy Production. In: Proc. of EWEC 2003, Madrid, Spain (2003)Google Scholar
- 9.Kariniotakis, G., et al.: What performance can be expected by short-term wind power prediction models depending on site characteristics. In: Proc. of the EWEC 2004, London, UK, November 22-25 (2004)Google Scholar
- 10.Madsen, H., Kariniotakis, G., Nielsen, H.Aa., Nielsen, T.S., Pinson, P.: A Protocol for Standardising the Performance Evaluation of Short-Term Wind Power Prediction Models. In: CD-Rom Proceedings of the Global WindPower 2004 Conference, Chicago, Illinois, USA, March 28-31 (2004) Google Scholar
- 11.Kariniotakis, G.: Towards Next Generation Sort-term Forecasting of Wind Power. In: The Anemos Team CD-Rom Proceedings of the Global WindPower 2004 Conference, Chicago, Illinois, USA, March 28-31 (2004)Google Scholar