Requirements for the Transmission of Streaming Video in Mobile Wireless Networks
The ability to transmit video and support related real-time multimedia applications is considered important in mobile networks. Video streaming, video conferencing, online interactive gaming, and mobile TV are only a few of the applications expected to support the viability, and survival, of next generation mobile wireless networks. It is, therefore, significant to analyze the interaction of the particular media and applications. This paper presents the characteristics of mobile wireless networks and relates these characteristics to the requirements of video transmission. The relationship derived is based not only on the objective QoS metrics measured in the network, but also on the subjective quality measures obtained by video viewers at end hosts. Through this work we establish guidelines for the transmission of video based on the limits of mobile and wireless networks. We believe that the results help researchers and professionals in the fields of video production and encoding to create videos of high efficiency, in terms of resource utilization, and of high performance, in terms of end-user satisfaction.
KeywordsPacket Loss Video Stream Video Quality Short Message Service Streaming Video
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Rohaly, M., et al.: Video Quality Experts Group: Current Results and Future Directions. In: SPIE Visual Communications and Image Processing, Perth, Australia, June 21-23, vol. 4067, pp. 742–753 (2000)Google Scholar
- 2.ITU-R BT.500-11 ”Methodology for the subjective assessment of the quality of television pictures” Google Scholar
- 3.Kozamernik, F., Steinmann, V., Sunna, P., Wyckens, E.: SAMVIQ: A New EBU Methodology for Video Quality Evaluations in Multimedia. SMPTE Motion Imaging Journal, 152–160 (April 2005)Google Scholar
- 4.FFMPEG Multimedia System, http://ffmpeg.sourceforge.net/index.php
- 5.Network Simulator 2, http://www.isi.edu/nsnam/ns/
- 6.Klaue, J., Rathke, B., Wolish, A.: EvalVid - A Framework for Video Transmission and Quality Evaluation. In: Proc. of the 13th International Conference on Modelling Techniques and Tools for Computer Performance Evaluation, Urbana, Illinois, USA, September 2003, pp. 255–272 (2003)Google Scholar
- 7.Ke, C.-H., Lin, C.-H., Shieh, C.-K., Hwang, W.-S.: A Novel Realistic Simulation Tool for Video Transmission over Wireless Network. In: The IEEE International Conference on Sensor Networks, Ubiquitous, and Trustworthy Computing (SUTC 2006), Taichung, Taiwan, June 5-7 (2006)Google Scholar
- 8.MSU Perceptual Video Quality tool, http://compression.ru/video/qualitysmeasure/