The Bayes-Optimal Feature Extraction Procedure for Pattern Recognition Using Genetic Algorithm
The paper deals with the extraction of features for statistical pattern recognition. Bayes probability of correct classification is adopted as the extraction criterion. The problem with complete probabilistic information is discussed and Bayes-optimal feature extraction procedure is presented in detail. The case of recognition with learning is also considered. As method of solution of optimal feature extraction a genetic algorithm is proposed. A numerical example demonstrating capability of proposed approach to solve feature extraction problem is presented.
KeywordsGenetic Algorithm Feature Extraction Statistical Pattern Recognition Bhattacharyya Distance Feature Extraction Procedure
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 4.Guyon, I., Gunn, S., Nikravesh, M., Zadeh, L.: Feature Extraction. Foundations and Applications. Springer, Heidelberg (2004)Google Scholar
- 5.Park, H., Park, C., Pardalos, P.: Comparitive Study of Linear and Nonlinear Feature Extraction Methods - Technical Report, Minneapolis (2004)Google Scholar
- 6.Fukunaga, K.: Introduciton to Statistical Pattern Recognition. Academic Press, London (1990)Google Scholar
- 7.Hsieh, P., Wang, D., Hsu, C.: A Linear Feature Extraction for Multiclass Classification Problems Based on Class Mean and Covariance Discriminant Information. IEEE Trans. on PAMI 28, 223–235 (2006)Google Scholar
- 8.Loog, M., Duin, R., Haeb-Umbach, R.: Multiclass Linear Dimension Reduction by Meighted Pairwise Fisher Criteria. IEEE Trans. on PAMI 23, 762–766 (2001)Google Scholar
- 9.Kuo, B., Landgrebe, D.: A Robust Classification Procedure Based on Mixture Classifiers and Nonparametric Weighted Feature Extraction. IEEE Trans. on GRS 40, 2486–2494 (2002)Google Scholar
- 10.Buturovic, L.: Toward Bayes-Optimal Linear Dimension Reduction. IEEE Trans. on PAMI 16, 420–424 (1994)Google Scholar
- 12.Raymer, M., Punch, W., et al.: Dimensionality Reduction Using Genetic Algorithms. IEEE Trans. on EC 4, 164–168 (2002)Google Scholar
- 13.Rovithakis, G., Maniadakis, M., Zervakis, M.: A Hybrid Neural Network and Genetic Algorithm Approach to Optimizing Feature Extraction for Signal Classification. IEEE Trans. on SMC 34, 695–702 (2004)Google Scholar