FTCM: Fault-Tolerant Cluster Management for Cluster-Based DBMS
In this paper, we design a fault-tolerant cluster management system for a cluster-based DBMS, called FTCM. To achieve it, FTCM manages the status of the nodes for a cluster-based DBMS as well as the status of the various DBMS instances at a given node. Using a graphical user interface (GUI), FTCM gives users a single virtual system image by showing the status of all of the nodes and resources for a cluster-based DBMS. In addition, we implement our FTCM by using Linux virtual server 0.81 as a load balancer and iBASE/Cluster as a cluster-based DBMS, under a cluster system with four server nodes. It is shown from our performance analysis that the sensing and recovery time of FTCM for the iBASE/Cluster is about 2 seconds while that of OCMS for Oracle DBMS is more than 20 seconds. Finally, we show that our FTCM can support nonstop service by performing its recovery procedure even in the case where all the nodes except one have failed.
KeywordsSystem Information Node Failure Cluster System Master Node Server Node
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Buyya, R.: High Performance Cluster Computing, vol. 1&2. Prentice Hall PTR, Englewood Cliffs (1999)Google Scholar
- 2.Choi, J.Y., Whang, S.C.: Software Tool for Cluster. Communication of the Korea Information Science Society 18(3), 40–47 (2000)Google Scholar
- 3.Pfister, G.F.: Search of Clusters, 2nd edn. Prentice-Hall, Englewood Cliffs (1998)Google Scholar
- 4.Linux Clustering, http://dpnm.postech.ac.kr/cluster/index.htm
- 5.Oracle Corporation, Oracle 9i Administrator’s Reference Release2(126.96.36.199.0), chapter F, Oracle Cluster Management Software (2002)Google Scholar
- 6.Uthayopas, P., Maneesilp, J., Ingongnam, P.: SCMS: An Integrated Cluster Management Tool for Beowulf Cluster System. In: Proceedings of the International Conference on Parallel and Distributed Proceeding Techniques and Applications, pp. 26–28 (2000)Google Scholar
- 7.Linux Virtual Server, http://www.linuxvirtualserver.org
- 8.Kim, H.-Y., Jin, K.-S., Kim, J., Kim, M.-J.: iBASE/Cluster: Extending the BADA-IV for a Cluster Environment. In: Proceeding of the 18th Korea Information Processing Society Fall Conference, vol. 9(2), pp. 1769–1772 (2002)Google Scholar