Source Authentication of Media Streaming Based on Chains of Iso-hash Clusters
We propose an efficient multicast source authentication protocol called Chains of Iso-hash Clusters scheme (CIC), which shows more lossy resistibility, less communication cost, less average delay at receivers. The CIC scheme is based on combination of single Chain scheme and Hash Tree Chains scheme, and integrates the advantages of both. In this scheme, stream is firstly divided into blocks with n packets, and each block consists of m clusters, everyone of which contains a tree of packets. All clusters are chained together. Through CIC, packets of one cluster can be authenticated by any packet of the previous cluster. Compared to other multicast authentication protocols, the proposed scheme has the following advantages: 1) dramatically improves the resistance to burst packets loss, 2) low computation and communication overhead, 3) imposes low delay on the sender side and no delay on the receiver side, assuming no loss occurs.
KeywordsPacket Loss Data Packet Communication Overhead Authentication Scheme Average Latency
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Ballardie, T.: Scalable Multicast Key Distribution, RFC 1949 (May 1996)Google Scholar
- 3.Gennaro, R., Rohatgi, P.: How to Sign Digital Streams. In: Kaliski Jr., B.S. (ed.) CRYPTO 1997. LNCS, vol. 1294, pp. 180–197. Springer, Heidelberg (1997)Google Scholar
- 4.Perrig, A., Canetti, R., Tygar, J.D., Song, D.: Efficient authentication and signing of multicast streams over lossy channels. In: IEEE Symposium on Security and Privacy, pp. 56–73 (May 2000)Google Scholar
- 5.Pannetrat, A., Molva, R.: Efficient multicast packet authentication. In: Proceeding of 10th Annual Network and Distributed System Security Symposium (February 2003)Google Scholar
- 7.Perrig, R.C.A., Song, D., Tygar, D.: Effcient and secure source authentication for multicast. In: Proceedings Network and Distributed System Security Symposium (NDSS 2001), San Diego, CA (February 2001)Google Scholar
- 8.Golle, P., Modadugu, N.: Authenticating Streamed Data in the Presence of Random Packet Loss. In: NDSS 2001: The Network and Distributed System Security Symposium (2001)Google Scholar
- 9.Miner, S., Staddon, J.: Graph-based authentication of digital streams. In: IEEE Symposium on Security and Privacy, May 2001, pp. 232–246 (2001)Google Scholar
- 10.Jung Min, P., Chong, E.K.P., Siegel, H.J.: Efficient multicast packet authentication using signature amortization. In: Proceedings of the IEEE Computer Society Symposium on Research in Security and Privacy, pp. 227–240 (2002)Google Scholar