Autonomic Trust Management in a Component Based Software System
Trust plays an important role in a software system, especially when, the system is component based and varied due to component joining and leaving. How to manage trust in such a system is crucial for embedded devices, such as mobile phones. This paper presents a trust management solution that can manage trust adaptively in a component based software (CBS) system. We develop a formal trust model to specify, evaluate and set up trust relationships that exist among system entities. We further present an autonomic trust management architecture that adopts a number of algorithms for trust assessment and maintenance during component execution. These algorithms use recent advances in Subjective Logic to ensure the management of trust within the CBS system.
KeywordsQuality Attribute Trust Model Trust Relationship Trust Management Importance Rate
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Denning, D.E.: A New Paradigm for Trusted Systems. In: Proceedings of the IEEE New Paradigms Workshop (1993)Google Scholar
- 6.Muskens, J., Chaudron, M.: Integrity Management in Component Based Systems. In: Proceedings of the 30th EUROMICRO Conference (Euromicro 2004) Washington, DC, Washington, DC, August 31 - September 03, vol. 00, pp. 611–619 (2004)Google Scholar
- 7.Paul, E., Butler, L., John, M., Marcus, P., Bryan, W.: A Trusted Open Platform, pp. 55–62. IEEE Computer Society, Los Alamitos (2003)Google Scholar
- 8.Trusted Computing Group (TCG), TPM Specification, version 1.2 (2003), https://www.trust-edcomputinggroup.org/specs/TPM/
- 9.Lin, C., Varadharajan, V., Wang, Y., Pruthi, V.: Enhancing Grid Security with Trust Management. In: Proceedings of IEEE International Conference on Services Computing (SCC 2004), September 15-18, pp. 303–310 (2004)Google Scholar