Bayesian Network Based Trust Management
Trust is an essential component for secure collaboration in uncertain environments. Trust management can be used to reason about future interactions between entities. In reputation-based trust management, an entity’s reputation is usually built on ratings from those who have had direct interactions with the entity. In this paper, we propose a Bayesian network based trust management model. In order to infer trust in different aspects of an entity’s behavior, we use multi-dimensional application specific trust values and each dimension is evaluated using a single Bayesian network. This makes it easy both to extend the model to involve more dimensions of trust and to combine Bayesian networks to form an opinion about the overall trustworthiness of an entity. Each entity can evaluate his peers according to his own criteria. The dynamic characteristics of criteria and of peer behavior can be captured by updating Bayesian networks. Risk is explicitly combined with trust to help users making decisions. In this paper, we show that our system can make accurate trust inferences and is robust against unfair raters.
KeywordsBayesian Network Trust Management Reputation System Shipping Good Behavioral Probability
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Cahill, V., Gray, E., Seigneur, J.-M., Jensen, C., Chen, Y., Shand, B., Dimmock, N., Twigg, A., Bacon, J., English, C., Wagealla, W., Terzis, S., Nixon, P., Serugendo, G., Bryce, C., Carbone, M., Krukow, K., Nielsen, M.: Using Trust for Secure Collaboration in Uncertain Environments. In: Pervasive Computing Magazine, vol. 2. IEEE Computer Society Press, Los Alamitos (2003)Google Scholar
- 2.Mui, L., Mohtashemi, M., Ang, C., Szolovits, P., Halberdtadt, A.: Ratings in Distributed Systems: A Bayesian Approach (2002)Google Scholar
- 3.Ismail, R., Josang, A.: The beta reputation systems. In: Proceedings of the 15th Bled Conference on Electronic Commerce, Slovenia (2002)Google Scholar
- 4.Whitby, A., Josang, A., Indulska, J.: Filtering out unfair ratings in bayesian reputation systems. In: Proceedings of the Workshop on Trust in Agent Societies, at the 3rd Int. Conf. on Autonomous Agents and Multi Agent Systems (2004)Google Scholar
- 6.Wang, Y., Vassileva, J.: Trust and Reputation Model in Peer-to-Peer Networks. In: Proceedings of the Third International Conference on Peer-to-Peer Computing (2003)Google Scholar
- 8.Dellarocas, C.: Mechanisms for coping with unfair ratings and discriminatory behavior in online reputation reporting systems. In: ICIS (2000)Google Scholar
- 9.Ganeriwal, S., Srivastava, M.B.: Reputation-based framework for high integrity sensor networks,? In: ACM Security for Ad-hoc and Sensor Networks (2004)Google Scholar
- 10.Buchegger, S., Boudec, J.Y.L.: A robust reputation system for p2p and mobile ad-hoc networks. In: Proceedings of the Second Workshop on the Economics of Peer-to-Peer Systems (2004)Google Scholar