A Research Agenda for Agent-Based Service-Oriented Architectures
Web services, especially as fundamental components of service-oriented architectures, are receiving a lot of attention. Their great promise, however, has not yet been realized, and a possible explantion is that significant research and engineering problems remain. We describe the problems, indicate likely directions and approaches for their solution, present an agenda for the deployment of such solutions, and explain the benefits of the resultant deployment. It is our strong expectation that Web services will eventually have an agent basis, which would be needed to address the problems.
KeywordsResearch Agendum Multiagent System Virtual Enterprise Currency Converter Stock Quote
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 2.Dignum, F., Weigand, H., Verharen, E.: Meeting the Deadline: On the Formal Specification of Temporal Deontic Constraints. In: Michalewicz, M., Raś, Z.W. (eds.) ISMIS 1996. LNCS, vol. 1079, pp. 243–252. Springer, Heidelberg (1996)Google Scholar
- 3.Eberhart, A.: Ad-Hoc Invocation of Semantic Web Services. In: Proc. IEEE Int’l. Conf. Web Services. IEEE CS Press, Los Alamitos (2004), www.aifb.uni-karlsruhe.de/WBS/aeb/pubs/icws2004.pdf Google Scholar
- 4.Sycara, K., et al.: Dynamic Service Matchmaking among Agents in Open Information Environments. J. ACM SIGMOD Record, Special Issue on Semantic Interoperability in Global Information Systems 28(1), 47–53 (1999), http://www-2.cs.cmu.edu/~softagents/papers/ACM99-L.ps Google Scholar
- 5.Singh, M., Huhns, M.: Service-Oriented Computing: Semantics, Processes, Agents. John Wiley & Sons, Chichester (2005)Google Scholar
- 6.Sivashanmugam, K., Verma, K., Sheth, A.: Discovery of Web Services in a Federated Registry Environment. In: Proc. IEEE Int’l. Conf. Web Services. IEEE CS Press, Los Alamitos (2004), http://lsdis.cs.uga.edu/lib/download/MWSDI-ICWS04-final.pdf
- 7.Vogels, W.: Learning from the Amazon Technology Platform. ACM Queue, 14–22 (May 2006)Google Scholar
- 8.Zavala, R.L., Huhns, M.N.: On Building Robust Web Service- Based Applications. In: Cavedon, L., et al. (eds.) Extending Web Services Technologies: The Use of Multi-Agent Approaches, pp. 293–310. Kluwer Academic, Dordrecht (2004)Google Scholar