An Estimation of Distribution Particle Swarm Optimization Algorithm
In this paper we present an estimation of distribution particle swarm optimization algorithm that borrows ideas from recent developments in ant colony optimization which can be considered an estimation of distribution algorithm. In the classical particle swarm optimization algorithm, particles exploit their individual memory to explore the search space. However, the swarm as a whole has no means to exploit its collective memory (represented by the array of previous best positions or pbests) to guide its search. This causes a re-exploration of already known bad regions of the search space, wasting costly function evaluations. In our approach, we use the swarm’s collective memory to probabilistically guide the particles’ movement towards the estimated promising regions in the search space. Our experiments show that this approach is able to find similar or better solutions than the canonical particle swarm optimizer with fewer function evaluations.
KeywordsParticle Swarm Optimization Search Space Particle Swarm Swarm Intelligence Distribution Algorithm
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 4.Eberhart, R., Shi, Y.: Comparing inertia weights and constriction factors in particle swarm optimization. In: Proceedings of the 2000 IEEE Congress on Evolutionary Computation, pp. 84–88 (2000)Google Scholar
- 9.Larrañaga, P., Lozano, J.: Estimation of Distribution Algorithms: A New Tool for Evolutionary Computation. Genetic Algorithms and Evolutionary Computation 2 (2001)Google Scholar
- 10.Kennedy, J., Eberhart, R., Shi, Y.: Swarm Intelligence. Morgan Kaufmann Publishers, San Francisco (2001)Google Scholar
- 11.Bonabeau, E., Dorigo, M., Theraulaz, G.: Swarm Intelligence: From Natural to Artificial Systems. In: Santa Fe Institute Studies on the Sciences of Complexity, Oxford University Press, USA (1999)Google Scholar
- 13.Socha, K., Dorigo, M.: Ant colony optimization for continuous domains. Technical Report TR/IRIDIA/2005-037, IRIDIA, Université Libre de Bruxelles (2005)Google Scholar
- 16.Suganthan, P.N., Hansen, N., Liang, J.J., Deb, K., Chen, Y.P., Auger, A., Tiwari, S.: Problem definitions and evaluation criteria for the CEC 2005 special session on real-parameter optimization. Technical Report 2005005, Nanyang Technological University, Singapore and IIT Kanpur, India (2005)Google Scholar