An Ant-Based Approach to Color Reduction
In this article a method for color reduction based on ant colony algorithm is presented. Generally color reduction involves two steps: choosing a proper palette and mapping colors to this palette. This article is about the first step. Using ant colony algorithm, pixel clusters are formed based on their colors and neighborhood information to make final palette. A comparison between the results of the proposed method and some other methods is presented. There are some parameters in the proposed method which can be set based on user needs and priorities. This increases the flexibility of the method.
KeywordsNeighborhood Information Pattern Recognition Letter Color Reduction Dissimilarity Function Sparse Area
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 2.Deneubourg, J.L., Goss, S., Franks, N., Sendova-Franks, A., Detrain, C., Chretien, L.: The Dynamics Of Collective Sorting Robot-like Ants and Ant-like Robots. In: Proc. First Conf. on Simulation of Adaptive Behavior, pp. 356–363 (1990)Google Scholar
- 3.Lumer, E.D., Faieta, B.: Diversity and Adaptation in Populations of Clustering Ants. In: Proc. of the Third Int. Conf. on Simulation of Adaptive Behavior: From Animals to Animats, vol. 3, pp. 501–508 (1994)Google Scholar
- 4.Kuntz, P., Snyers, D.: New Results On An Ant-Based Heuristic for Highlighting The Organization Of Large Graphs. In: Proc. of the 1999 Congress on Evolutionary Computation, pp. 1451–1458 (1999)Google Scholar
- 6.Monmarché, N.: On Data Clustering With Artificial Ants (AAAI 1999 & GECCO 1999). In: Workshop on Data Mining with Evolutionary Algorithms, pp. 23–26 (1999)Google Scholar
- 7.Kanade, P.M., Hall, L.O.: Fuzzy Ants As A Clustering Concept. In: 22nd Int. Conf. of the North American Fuzzy Information Processing Society NAFIPS, pp. 227–232 (2003)Google Scholar
- 8.Labroche, N., Monmarché, N., Venturini, G.: Visual Clustering With Artificial Ants Colonies. In: Seventh Int. Conf. on Knowledge-Based Intelligent Information & Engineering Systems, pp. 332–338 (2003)Google Scholar
- 9.Scheunders, P.: A comparison of clustering algorithms for color image quantization. Pattern Recognition Letters, 1379–1384 (1997)Google Scholar