Restoration Performance vs. Overhead in a Swarm Intelligence Path Management System
CE-ants is a distributed, robust and adaptive swarm intelligence strategy for dealing with path management in communication networks. This paper focuses on various strategies for adjusting the overhead generated by the CE-ants as the state of the network changes. The overhead is in terms of number of management packets (ants) generated, and the adjustments are done by controlling the ant generation rate that controls the number ants traversing the network. The link state events considered are failure and restoration events. A simulation scenario compares restoration performance of rate adaptation in the source node with rate adaptation in the intermediate nodes close to the link state events. Implicit detection of failure events through monitoring ant parameters are considered. Results indicate that an implicit adjustment in the source node is a promising approach with respect to restoration time and the number of ants required.
KeywordsSource Node Mobile Agent Swarm Intelligence Convergence Time Lower Node
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Ball, M.O.: Handbooks in Operation Research and Management Science, Network Models, vol. 7. North Holland, Amsterdam (1995)Google Scholar
- 5.Goldberg, D.: Genetic Algorithms in Search, Optimization and Machine Learning. Addison Wesley, Reading (1998)Google Scholar
- 6.Rubinstein, R.Y.: The Cross-Entropy Method for Combinatorial and Continuous Optimization. Methodology and Computing in Applied Probability, 127–190 (1999)Google Scholar
- 8.Bonabeau, E., Dorigo, M., Theraulaz, G.: Swarm Intelligence: From Natural to Artifical Systems. Oxford University Press, Oxford (1999)Google Scholar
- 10.Wittner, O., Helvik, B.E.: Distributed soft policy enforcement by swarm intelligence; application to load sharing and protection. Annals of Telecommunications 59(1-2), 10–24 (2004)Google Scholar
- 11.Wittner, O.: Emergent Behavior Based Implements for Distributed Network Management. Ph.D thesis, Norwegian University of Science and Technology, NTNU, Department of Telematics (2003)Google Scholar
- 12.Heegaard, P.E., Wittner, O.J., Helvik, B.E.: Self-management of virtual paths in dynamic networks. In: Babaoğlu, Ö., Jelasity, M., Montresor, A., Fetzer, C., Leonardi, S., van Moorsel, A., van Steen, M. (eds.) SELF-STAR 2004. LNCS, vol. 3460, pp. 417–432. Springer, Heidelberg (2005)CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 14.Heegaard, P.E., Wittner, O., Nicola, V.F., Helvik, B.E.: Distributed asynchronous algorithm for cross-entropy-based combinatorial optimization. In: Rare Event Simulation and Combinatorial Optimization (RESIM/COP 2004), Budapest, Hungary (2004)Google Scholar