Placement Constraints and Macrocell Overlap Removal Using Particle Swarm Optimization
This paper presents a macrocell placement constraints and overlap removal methodology using particle swarm optimization (PSO). The authors adopted several techniques along with PSO as to avoid the floorplanning falling into the local minimum and to assist in finding out the global minimum. Our method can deal with various kinds of placement constraints, and consider them simultaneously. Experiments employing MCNC and GSRC benchmarks show the efficiency and robustness of our method for restricted placement and overlap removal obtained by the ability of exploring better solutions. The proposed approach exhibited rapid convergence and led to more optimal solutions than other related approaches, furthermore, it displayed efficient packing with all the constraints satisfied.
KeywordsParticle Swarm Optimization Lower Left Corner Very Large Scale Integration Wire Length Global Good Position
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 4.Chang, Y.C., Chang, Y.W., Wu, G.M., Wu, S.W.: B*-Trees: A new representation for nonslicing floorplans. In: Design Automation Conference, pp. 458–463 (2000)Google Scholar
- 5.Sigl, G., Doll, K., Johannes, F.M.: Analytical placement: A linear or a quadratic objective function. In: Design Automation Conference, pp. 427–432 (1991)Google Scholar
- 6.Mo, F., Tabbara, A., Brayton, R.K.: A force-directed macro-cell place. In: Computer-Aided Design Conference, pp. 177–180 (2000)Google Scholar
- 8.Balasa, F., Lampert, K.: Symmetry within the sequence-pair representation in the context of placement for analog design. IEEE Trans. on Computer-Aided Design 19, 712–731 (2000)Google Scholar
- 9.Balasa, F., Maruvada, S.C., Krishnamoorthy, K.: Efficient solution space exploration based on segment trees in analog placement with symmetry constraints. In: Proc. of Int. Conf. Computer-Aided Design, pp. 497–502 (2002)Google Scholar
- 10.Tang, X., Wong, D.F.: Floorplanning with alignment and performance constraints. In: Proc. of 39th ACM/IEEE Design Automation Conference, pp. 848–853 (2002)Google Scholar
- 11.Chang, Y.C., Chang, Y.W., Wu, G.M., Wu, S.W.: B*-trees: A new representation for nonslicing floorplans. In: Proc. of 37th ACM/IEEE Design Automation Conference (2000)Google Scholar
- 12.Murata, H., Fujiyoushi, K., Kaneko, M.: VLSI/PCB placement with obstacles based on sequence-pair. In: Proc. of Int. Symp. Physical Design, pp. 26–31 (1997)Google Scholar
- 13.Young, F.Y., Wong, D.F.: Slicing floorplans with pre-placedmodules. In: Proc. of IEEE Int. Conf. Computer-Aided Design, pp. 252–258 (1998)Google Scholar
- 14.Sun, T.Y., Hsieh, S.T., Lin, C.W.: Particle swarm optimization Incorporated with disturbance for improving the efficiency of macrocell overlap removal and placement. In: Proc. of The 2005 International Conference on Artificial Intelligence (ICAI 2005), pp. 122–125 (2005)Google Scholar
- 15.Eberhart, R.C., Kennedy, J.: A new optimizer using particle swarm theory. In: Proc. of 6th Int. Symp. Micro Machine and Human Science, pp. 39–43 (1995)Google Scholar