Boundary Search for Constrained Numerical Optimization Problems in ACO Algorithms
This paper presents a novel boundary approach which is included as a constraint-handling technique in an ant colony algorithm. The necessity of approaching the boundary between the feasible and infeasible search space for many constrained optimization problems is a paramount challenge for every constraint-handling technique. Our proposed technique precisely focuses the search on the boundary region and can be either used alone or in combination with other constraint-handling techniques depending on the type and number of problem constraints. For validation purposes, an ant algorithm is adopted as our search engine. We compare our proposed approach with respect to constraint-handling techniques that are representative of the state-of-the-art in constrained evolutionary optimization using a set of standard test functions.
KeywordsSearch Space Equality Constraint Constrain Optimization Problem Active Constraint Penalty Factor
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Bilchev, G., Parmee, I.C.: The ant colony metaphor for searching continuous design spaces. In: Fogarty, T.C. (ed.) AISB-WS 1995. LNCS, vol. 993, pp. 25–39. Springer, Heidelberg (1995)Google Scholar
- 3.Lei, W., Qidi, W.: Further example study on ant system algorithm based continuous space optimization. In: Proceedings of the 4th Congress on Intelligent and Automation, Shangai, P.R. China, pp. 2541–2545 (2002)Google Scholar
- 5.Michalewicz, Z., Nazhiyath, G., Michalewicz, M.: A note on usefulness of geometrical crossover for numerical optimization problems. In: L.J.F., et al. (ed.) Proceedings of the Fifth Annual Conference on Evolutionary Programming, pp. 305–311. MIT Press, Cambridge (1996)Google Scholar
- 6.Keane, A.: Genetic algorithms digest, 8(16) (1994)Google Scholar
- 9.Corne, D., Dorigo, M., Glover, F. (eds.): New Ideas in Optimization. McGraw-Hill International, New York (1999)Google Scholar
- 11.Hamida, S.B., Schoenauer, M.: ASCHEA: New Results Using Adaptive Segregational Constraint Handling. In: Proceedings of the Congress on Evolutionary Computation 2002 (CEC 2002), Piscataway, New Jersey, vol. 1, pp. 884–889. IEEE Service Center (2002)Google Scholar
- 12.Liang, J., Runarsson, T.P., Mezura-Montes, E., Clerc, M., Suganthan, P.N., Coello Coello, C., Deb, K.: Problem definitions and evaluation criteria for the cec 2006 special session on constrained real-parameter optimization. Technical report, School of Electrical and Electronic Engineering Nanyang Technological University, Singapore (2006), http://www.ntu.edu.sg/home5/lian0012/cec2006/technical_report.pdf