Toward Automatic Discovery and Invocation of Information-Providing Web Services
Semantic Web makes the automatic discovery and invocation of Web Services become possible. But existing methods perform the capability matching, which is crucial for service discovery, either only according to inputs and outputs (IO), which results in a not very precise matching, or trying to tackle arbitrary services, which results in an undecidable reasoning. In this paper, targeting merely the information-providing type of Web Services, we present a precise and decidable matching method based on the Description Logic reasoner. An outstanding property of our method is that it can determinate the accurate binding of IO between requested and advertised services, which is necessary for automatic invocation yet rarely addressed in previous work. Besides, this paper also describes a useful use case for automatic Web Services discovery and invocation.
KeywordsComparison Site Shopping Site Comparison Shopping Service Template Semantic Markup
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Akkiraju, R., Farrell, J., Miller, J., et al.: Web Service Semantics - WSDL-S, Version 1.0, A joint UGA-IBM Technical Note (April 2005), http://lsdis.cs.uga.edu/library/download/WSDL-SV1.pdf
- 2.Gao, X., Yang, J., Papazoglou, M.P.: The capability matching of web services. In: Proceedings of IEEE Fourth International Symposium on Multimedia Software Engineering, pp. 56–63 (2002)Google Scholar
- 3.Kawamura, T., Blasio, D.J., Hasegawa, T., et al.: Preliminary report of public experiment of semantic service matchmaker with uddi business registry. In: Orlowska, M.E., Weerawarana, S., Papazoglou, M.P., Yang, J. (eds.) ICSOC 2003. LNCS, vol. 2910, pp. 208–224. Springer, Heidelberg (2003)CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 4.Li, L., Horrocks, I.: A software framework for matchmaking based on semantic web technology. International Journal of Electronic Commerce 8(4), 39–60 (2004)Google Scholar
- 8.Sirin, E., Hendler, J., Parsia, B.: Semi-automatic Composition of Web Services using Semantic Descriptions. Presented at Web Services: Modeling, Architecture and Infrastructure workshop at the 5th International Conference on Enterprise Information Systems (ICEIS 2003) (April 2003)Google Scholar
- 9.Srinivasan, N., Paolucci, M., Sycara, K.: Adding OWL-S to UDDI: implementation and throughput. In: Proceeding of first International Workshop on Semantic Web Services and Web Process Composition (SWSWPC 2004), San Diego, CA, USA (2004)Google Scholar