Utilizing Secure Three Hop Links to Agree Pairwise Keys in Wireless Sensor Networks
Because sensor networks consist of devices with weak physical security, they are likely to be compromised by an attacker. So, it is very important to establish a pairwise key securely between the communicating nodes. However, utilizing one hop local keys are known to be very vulnerable to threats caused by compromised nodes. This paper proposes a scheme where each node establishes three hop local keys at network boot-up time and employs them for a later pairwise key establishment. When any two nodes agree a pairwise key, all nodes on the route between two nodes contribute to the agreement of the pairwise key. Here, the initial three hop local keys are employed for encrypting a secret key delivered from a node to other nodes. Therefore, the proposed scheme bothers attackers to compromise much more nodes than the scheme using one hop local keys only. The simulation results showed that the proposed scheme provides better performance and higher security than the one hop local key based scheme.
KeywordsSensor Network Sensor Node Wireless Sensor Network Secret Share Node Density
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Perrig, A., Szewczyk, R., Wen, V., Culler, D., Tygar, J.D.: SPINS: Security Protocols for Sensor Networks. In: Proc. of the 7th ACM/IEEE Int’l. Conf. on MbiCOM, pp. 189–199 (2001)Google Scholar
- 2.Wang, G., Bang, S., Cho, G.: A Pair-wise Key Establishment Scheme without Pre-distributing Keys for Ad-hoc Networks. In: Proc. of IEEE ICC 2005 (2005)Google Scholar
- 5.Zhu, S., Setia, S., Jajodia, S.: LEAP: Efficient Security Mechanisms for Large-Scale Distributed Sensor Networks. In: Proc. of the 10th ACM Conference on CCS 2003 (2003)Google Scholar
- 6.Dutertre, B., Cheung, S., Levy, J.: Lightweight Key Management in Wireless Sensor Networks by Leveraging Initial Trust. SRI International, Tech. Rep. SRI-SDL-04-02 (2004)Google Scholar
- 7.Eschenauer, L., Gilgor, V.D.: A Key-Management Scheme for Distributed Sensor Networks. In: Proc. 9th ACM Conf. on CCS 2002, pp. 41–47 (2002)Google Scholar
- 8.Du, W., Deng, J., Han, Y.S., Chen, S., Varshney, P.K.: A Key Management Scheme for Wireless Sensor Networks Using Deployment Knowledge. In: Proc. of IEEE INFOCOM 2004, vol. 1, pp. 586–597 (2004)Google Scholar
- 9.Liu, D., Ning, P.: Establishing Pairwise Keys in Distributed Sensor Networks. In: Proc. of the 10th ACM CCS 2003, pp. 52–61 (2003)Google Scholar
- 10.Zhu, S., Xu, S., Setia, S., Jajodia, S.: Establishing Pair-wise Keys For Secure Communication in Ad Hoc Networks: A Probabilistic Approach. In: Proc. of the 11th Int’l. Conf. on Network Protocols, pp. 326–335 (2003)Google Scholar