Key Predistribution in Sensor Networks
Sensor networks are widely used in a variety of commercial and military applications due to their self-organization characteristics and distributed nature. As a fundamental requirement for providing security functionality in sensor networks, key predistribution plays a central role in authentication and encryption. In this paper, we describe the hexagon-based key predistribution scheme and show how it can improve the performance of key predistribution in sensor network through the use of bivariate polynomials in a hexagonal coordinate system based on the deployment information about the expected locations of the sensor nodes. More specifically, we show that the hexagon-based key scheme can improve the probability of establishing pairwise keys between sensor nodes by more than 40% over previous schemes.
KeywordsSensor Network Sensor Node Bivariate Polynomial Distribute Sensor Network Broadcast Authentication
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Du, W., Deng, J., Han, Y., Chen, S., Varshney, P.: A key management scheme for wireless sensor networks using deployment knowledge. In: Proc. IEEE Infocom, pp. 586–597 (March 2004)Google Scholar
- 2.Eschenauer, L., Gligor, V.D.: A key-management scheme for distributed sensor networks. In: Proc. 9th ACM Conference on Computer and Communications Security, pp. 41–47 (November 2002)Google Scholar
- 3.Chan, H., Perring, A., Song, D.: Random key predistribution schemes for sensor networks. In: Proc. IEEE Symposium on Research in Security and Privacy (2003)Google Scholar
- 4.Liu, D., Ning, P.: Establishing pairwise keys in distributed sensor networks. In: Proc. 10th ACM Conference on Computer and Communications Security, pp. 52–61 (October 2003)Google Scholar
- 5.Liu, D., Ning, P.: Location-based pairwise key establishments for static sensor networks. In: Proc. 2003 ACM Workshop on Security in Ad Hoc and Sensor Networks, pp. 72–82 (2003)Google Scholar
- 6.Li, G., He, J., Fu, Y.: A Hexagon-based key predistribution scheme in sensor networks. In: Proc. International Workshop on Wireless and Sensor Networks (August 2006)Google Scholar
- 7.Perrig, A., Szwczyk, R., Wen, V., Culler, D., Tygar, D.: Spins: Security protocols for sensor networks. In: Proc. 7th Annual International Conference on Mobile Computing and Networks (July 2001)Google Scholar
- 8.Liu, D., Ning, P.: Efficient distribution of key chain commitments for broadcast authentication in distributed sensor networks. In: Proc. 10th Annual Network and Distributed System Security Symposium, pp. 263–276 (February 2003)Google Scholar
- 9.Wood, D., Stankovic, J.A.: Denial of service in sensor networks. IEEE Computer 35(10), 54–62 (2002)Google Scholar