Performance Analysis of Unified Data Broadcast Model for Multi-channel Wireless Databases
The use of data broadcasting in wireless environment has been of much interest especially to deal with the exponential increase of mobile users due to its scalability. In this paper, we present a unified broadcast model in multi-channel wireless databases and its comprehensive performance analysis. This model aims to minimize query access time, tuning time and power consumption of mobile users when obtaining broadcast database items. This scheme also concerns with single and multiple data items request. A prototype and simulation-based experiment has been developed to evaluate the performance of the broadcast model. We compare the performance of the proposed model against the conventional scheme and we found that the proposed unified model provides substantially better performance in every aspect of the evaluation. It is also shown that the results of our simulation are very close to those obtained from the prototype system.
KeywordsData Item Global Index Broadcast Channel Mobile Client Query Pattern
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Adya, A., Bahl, P., Qiu, L.: Analyzing the Browse Patterns of Mobile Clients. In: Proc. of the 1st ACM SIGCOMM Workshop on Internet Measurement, pp. 189–194 (2001)Google Scholar
- 2.Barbara, D.: Mobile Computing and Databases-A Survey. IEEE TKDE 11(1), 108–117 (1999)Google Scholar
- 3.Huang, J.L., Chen, M.-S.: Broadcast Program Generation for Unordered Queries with Data Replication. In: Proc. of the 8th ACM SAC, pp. 866–870 (2003)Google Scholar
- 4.Imielinski, T., Viswanathan, S., Badrinath, B.R.: Energy Efficient Indexing on Air. In: Proc. of the ACM Sigmod Conference, pp. 25–36 (1994)Google Scholar
- 5.Imielinski, T., Viswanathan, S., Badrinath, B.R.: Data on Air: Organisation and Access. IEEE TKDE 9(3), 353–371 (1997)Google Scholar
- 6.Jones, A., Ohlund, J.: Network Programming for Microsoft Windows. Microsoft Press, Redmond (2002)Google Scholar
- 7.Leong, H.V., Si, A.: Data Broadcasting Strategies over Multiple Unreliable Wireless Channels. In: Proc. of the 4th CIKM, pp. 96–104 (1995)Google Scholar
- 8.Prabhakara, K., Hua, K.A., Jiang, N.: Multi-Level Multi-Channel Air Cache Designs for Broadcasting in a Mobile Environment. In: Proc. of the ICDE, pp. 167–176 (2000)Google Scholar
- 9.Seeley, D., et al.: Planimatetm-Animated Planning Platforms. InterDynamics Pty Ltd. (1997)Google Scholar
- 11.Waluyo, A.B., Srinivasan, B., Taniar, D.: Indexing Schemes for Multi Channel Data Broadcasting in Mobile Databases. International Journal of Wireless and Mobile Computing 1(6) (2005)Google Scholar