A Smart Identification Card System Using Facial Biometric: From Architecture to Application
This paper presents a smart identification card system using facial biometric information for identity authentification. For a trade-off between the security and the cost, this system utilizes an architecture containing three security levels of identity authentification, “manual face verification offline”, “manual face verification online” and “automatic (biometric) face verification”, which satisfy the different security requirements of various applications of identification cards. For the function of “manual face verification online”, we bring out an idea based on decomposing the face image into two parts which are stocked into the card and the database of system respectively. And for the function of “automatic face verification”, we proposed a novel face verification scheme based on class-specific face models. The technique Active Appearance Model is applied, as the way of face modelling, to realize the proposed scheme. A prototype application of such system, which contains a fix version for PC and a mobile version for Pocket PC, is also introduced in this paper.
KeywordsFace Recognition Face Image Smart Card Face Model False Acceptance Rate
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Lu, X.: Image Analysis for Face Recognition, personal notes (2003)Google Scholar
- 3.Hyvarinen, A.: Survey On Independent Component Analysis. Neural Computing Surveys 2, 94–128 (1999)Google Scholar
- 6.Kanade, T.: Picture Processing System by Computer and Recognition of Human Faces, PhD. Thesis, Kyoto University (1973)Google Scholar
- 9.Cootes, T.F., Edwards, G.J., Taylor, C.J.: Active Appearance Models. In: Proc. of European Conference on Computer Vision, vol. 2, pp. 484–498 (1998)Google Scholar
- 10.Blanz, V., Vetter, T.: A Morphable Model for the Synthesis of 3d Faces. In: Proc. of SIGGRAPH, pp. 187–194 (1999)Google Scholar
- 11.Chen, L., Peng, K., Liu, X.: Smart Identification Card, PCT/FR200400685, France (2004)Google Scholar
- 12.Peng, K., Chen, L., Ruan, S.: A Novel Scheme of Face Verification Using Active Appearance Models. In: Proc. of IEEE Conference on Advanced Video and Signal based Surveillance (AVSS 2005), pp. 247–252 (2005)Google Scholar