A New Model to Optimize the Cost Efficiency of Broadcast in Mobile Ad Hoc Networks
In this paper an analytical model is established to optimize the cost efficiency of broadcast operations while guarantee required RE and delay. To facilitate analysis on cost, a new metric—WCOF (Wireless Channel Occupation Frequency), is introduced to measure the average cost per node incurred by a round of broadcast. For simplicity delay is measured by the least number of broadcasts to achieve required RE. Performance of Counter based and distance based schemes are investigated in detail using the new model. Analytical results show the relation between the cost efficiency and delay of broadcast schemes and configuration of network and broadcast parameters. It is proved that the new model can be used to choose proper broadcast scheme and parameters for optimal performance.
KeywordsMobile Node Source Node Cost Efficiency Medium Access Control Layer Broadcast Message
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Tseng, Y.-C., Ni, S.-Y., Chen, Y.-S., Sheu, J.-P.: The Broadcast Storm Problem in a Mobile Ad Hoc Network. In: Wireless Networks, pp. 153-167 (2002)Google Scholar
- 2.Sun, M.T., Feng, W., Lai, T.H.: Location Aided Broadcast in Wireless Ad hoc Networks. In: Proc. IEEE WCNC 2002, Orlando, FL, March 2002, pp. 597–602 (2002)Google Scholar
- 3.Sasson, Y., Cavin, D., Schiper, A.: Probabilistic Broadcast for Flooding in Wireless Mobile Ad hoc Networks. Technical Report. IC/2002/54Google Scholar
- 4.Sucec, J., Manic, L.: An efficient distributed network-wide broadcast algorithm for mobile ad hoc network. CAP Technical Report 248 - Rutgns University (September 2000)Google Scholar
- 5.Yao, P., Krohne, E., Camp, T.: Performance Comparison of Geocast Routing Protocols for a MANET. In: Proceedings of the 13th IEEE International Conference on Computer Communications and Networks (IC3N), pp. 213–220 (2004)Google Scholar
- 6.Williams, B., Camp, T.: Comparison of Broadcasting Techniques for Mobile Ad Hoc Networks. In: Proceedings of the ACM International Symposium on Mobile Ad Hoc Networking and Computing (MOBIHOC 2002), pp. 194–205 (2002)Google Scholar
- 7.Zhang, H., Jiang, Z.-P.: Analysis of two ad hoc broadcasting protocols. In: Wireless Communications and Networking Conference, WCNC 2004 IEEE, March 21-25, 2004, vol. 2, pp. 808–812 (2004)Google Scholar
- 10.IEEE, Wireless LAN Medium Access Control (MAC) and Physical Layer (PHY) Specifications, IEEE Std. 802.11-1997 (1997)Google Scholar
- 11.Ferrari, G., Tonguz, O.K.: Minimum number of neighbors for fully connected uniform ad hoc wireless networks. In: IEEE International Conference on Communications (ICC 2004), Paris, France (2004)Google Scholar