On the Value of Preemption in Scheduling
It is well known that on-line preemptive scheduling algorithms can achieve efficient performance. A classic example is the Shortest Remaining Processing Time (SRPT) algorithm which is optimal for flow time scheduling, assuming preemption is costless. In real systems, however, preemption has significant overhead. In this paper we suggest a new model where preemption is costly. This introduces new considerations for preemptive scheduling algorithms and inherently calls for new scheduling strategies. We present a simple on-line algorithm and present lower bounds for on-line as well as efficient off-line algorithms which show that our algorithm performs close to optimal.
KeywordsCompletion Time Parallel Machine Single Machine Competitive Ratio Identical Parallel Machine
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Baker, K.R.: Introduction to sequencing and scheduling. Wiley, New York (1974)Google Scholar
- 4.Dimpsey, R.T., Iyer, R.K.: Performance degradation due to multiprogramming and system overheads in real workloads: Case study on a shared memory multiprocessor. In: Intnl. Conf. Supercomputing, pp. 227–238 (1990)Google Scholar
- 5.Etsion, Y., Tsafrir, D., Feitelson, D.G.: Effects of clock resolution on the scheduling of interactive and soft real-time processes. In: SIGMETRICS Conf. Measurement & Modeling of Comput. Syst., pp. 172–183 (2003)Google Scholar
- 8.Leonardi, S., Raz, D.: Approximating total flow time on parallel machines. In: Proc. 29th Symp. Theory of Computing (STOC), pp. 110–119. ACM, New York (1997)Google Scholar
- 10.Muthukrishnan, S., Rajaraman, R., Shaheen, A., Gehrke, J.E.: Online scheduling to minimize avarage strech. In: Proc. 40th Symp. Foundations of Computer Science (FOCS), pp. 433–443. IEEE, Los Alamitos (1999)Google Scholar
- 11.Natarajan, C., Sharma, S., Iyer, R.K.: Measurement-based characterization of global memory and network contention, operating system and parallelization overheads: Case study on a shared-memory multiprocessor. In: Ann. Intl. Symp. Computer Architecture, vol. 21, pp. 71–80 (1994)Google Scholar
- 12.Schwiegelshohn, U.: Preemptive weighted completion time scheduling of parallel jobs. In: Díaz, J. (ed.) ESA 1996. LNCS, vol. 1136, pp. 39–51. Springer, Heidelberg (1996)Google Scholar