Approximating Average Parameters of Graphs
Inspired by Feige (36th STOC, 2004), we initiate a study of sublinear randomized algorithms for approximating average parameters of a graph. Specifically, we consider the average degree of a graph and the average distance between pairs of vertices in a graph. Since our focus is on sublinear algorithms, these algorithms access the input graph via queries to an adequate oracle.
We consider two types of queries. The first type is standard neighborhood queries (i.e., what is the i th neighbor of vertex v ?), whereas the second type are queries regarding the quantities that we need to find the average of (i.e., what is the degree of vertex v ? and what is the distance between u and v ?, respectively).
Loosely speaking, our results indicate a difference between the two problems: For approximating the average degree, the standard neighbor queries suffice and in fact are preferable to degree queries. In contrast, for approximating average distances, the standard neighbor queries are of little help whereas distance queries are crucial.
KeywordsAverage Distance Average Degree Average Parameter Input Graph Neighbor Query
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Barhum, K.: MSc. thesis, Weizmann Institute of Science (in preparation)Google Scholar
- 2.Bădoiu, M., Czumaj, A., Indyk, P., Sohler, C.: Facility Location in Sublinear Time. In: Caires, L., Italiano, G.F., Monteiro, L., Palamidessi, C., Yung, M. (eds.) ICALP 2005. LNCS, vol. 3580, Springer, Heidelberg (2005)Google Scholar
- 6.Elkin, M.L.: Computing Almost Shortest Paths. Technical Report MCS01–03, Faculty of Mathematics and Computer Science, Weizmann Institute of Science (2001)Google Scholar
- 7.Even, S.: Graph Algorithms. Computer Science Press (1979)Google Scholar
- 8.Feige, U.: On sums of independent random variables with unbounded variance, and estimating the average degree in a graph. In: Proc. of the 36th STOC, pp. 594–603 (2004)Google Scholar
- 12.Goldreich, O., Ron, D.: Approximating Average Parameters of Graphs. ECCC, TR05-073Google Scholar
- 13.Indyk, P.: Sublinear Time Algorithms for Metric Space Problems. In: Proc. of the 31st STOC, pp. 428–434 (1999)Google Scholar