Monotone Predicate Transformers as Up-Closed Multirelations
In the study of semantic models for computations two independent views predominate: relational models and predicate transformer semantics. Recently the traditional relational view of computations as binary relations between states has been generalised to multirelations between states and properties allowing the simultaneous treatment of angelic and demonic nondeterminism. In this paper the two-level nature of multirelations is exploited to provide a factorisation of up-closed multirelations which clarifies exactly how multirelations model nondeterminism. Moreover, monotone predicate transformers are, in the precise sense of duality, up-closed multirelations. As such they are shown to provide a notion of effectivity of a specification for achieving a given postcondition.
KeywordsBinary Relation Boolean Algebra Monotone Operator Semantic Model Bijective Correspondence
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Adámek, J., Herrlich, H., Strecker, G.E.: Abstract and Concrete Categories. John Wiley and Sons, Inc, Chichester (1991)Google Scholar
- 3.Back, R.J.R., von Wright, J.J.: Refinement Calclulus: A Systematic Introduction. Graduate Texts in Computer Science. Springer, New York (1998)Google Scholar
- 8.Brink, C., Rewitzky, I.: A Paradigm for Program Semantics: Power Structures and Duality. CSLI Publications, Stanford (2001)Google Scholar
- 16.Hoare, C.A.R.: An algebra of games of choice. Unpublished manuscript, 4 pages (1996)Google Scholar
- 25.Stone, M.H.: Topological representations of distributive lattices and Brouwerian logics. Casopis Pro Potování Mathematiky 67, 1–25 (1937)Google Scholar