X-Warehousing: An XML-Based Approach for Warehousing Complex Data
XML is suitable for structuring complex data coming from different sources and supported by heterogeneous formats. It allows a flexible formalism capable to represent and store different types of data. Therefore, the importance of integrating XML documents in data warehouses is becoming increasingly high. In this paper, we propose an XML-based methodology, named X-Warehousing, which designs warehouses at a logical level, and populates them with XML documents at a physical level. Our approach is mainly oriented to users analysis objectives expressed according to an XML Schema and merged with XML data sources. The resulted XML Schema represents the logical model of a data warehouse. Whereas, XML documents validated against the analysis objectives populate the physical model of the data warehouse, called the XML cube.
KeywordsData Cube Attribute Tree Fact Table Star Schema Dimension Hierarchy
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Kimball, R.: The Data Warehouse Toolkit. John Wiley & Sons, Chichester (1996)Google Scholar
- 2.Golfarelli, M., Maio, D., Rizzi, S.: Conceptual Design of Data Warehouses from E/R Schema. In: Proceedings of the 31st Annual Hawaii International Conference on System Sciences (HICSS 1998), pp. 334–343. IEEE Computer Society Press, Washington (1998)Google Scholar
- 3.Golfarelli, M., Rizzi, S.: Designing the Data Warehouse: Key Steps and Crucial Issues. Journal of Computer Science and Information Management 2(3), 88–100 (1999)Google Scholar
- 4.Krill, P.: XML Builds Momentun as Repository Standard. InfoWorld 20(25), 6 (1998)Google Scholar
- 5.Baril, X., Bellahsène, Z.: Designing and Managing an XML Warehouse. In: XML Data Management: Native XML and XML-Enabled Database Systems, 1st edn., pp. 455–474. Addison Wesley Professional, Reading (2003)Google Scholar
- 11.Heath, M., Bowyer, K., Kopans, D., Moore, R., Kegelmeyer Jr, P.: The Digital Database for Screening Mammography. In: Proceedings of the 5th International Workshop on Digital Mammography. Medical Physics Publishing, Madison (2000)Google Scholar