An Improved Web System for Pixel Advertising
One of the most spectacular phenomenon that appeared over the Internet in 2005 was pixel advertisement or, to be more precise, web page with graphical micro-ads. The freshness and extreme simplicity of the concept to sell small 100-pixel squares on a virtual billboard to publish an image linking to another resource was a subject of many articles published in the Internet. However, success of MillionDollarHomePage.com project was hard to repeat. The winner took the cream. In the paper I try to identify and analyze success factors and weak points of the new concept in the Internet marketing. Several changes and improvements are proposed to focus users attention on the geographical context of micro-ads placed on a map in the background. Conceptual work is illustrated by a prototype system offering proposed features.
KeywordsTaboo List Geographical Context Graphical Link Extreme Simplicity Internet Marketing
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Collin, S.: Marketing on the Internet, Batsford (1999)Google Scholar
- 2.Outing, S., Ruel, L.: The Best of Eyetrack III: What We Saw When We Looked Through Their Eyes, http://poynterextra.org/EYETRACK2004
- 3.Contextual Advertising by Google: AdSense, http://www.google.com/adsense
- 4.BBC News, Student’s cash-rising net scheme, http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/wiltshire/4271694.stm
- 5.The Million Dollar Home Page Review, http://www.i4u.com/article4285.html
- 6.Fontanella, J.: Dollar-per-pixel ad site nets student $1m, Financial Times (January 11, 2006), http://news.ft.com/cms/s/d4edefe0-82ae-11da-ac1f-0000779e2340.html
- 7.Own the Last 1,000 Pixels on MillionDollarHomePage.com, http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=5652179487&ssPageName=ADME:L:LCA:UK:31
- 8.Kotler, P., Armstrong, G.: Principles of Marketing. Prentice Hall, Englewood Cliffs (2003)Google Scholar
- 9.Million Dollar Home Page Watch, http://www.milliondollarhomepage.ws
- 10.Drewa, R.: Analysis of selected method and tools for advertising on WWW, master thesis (in Polish), Poznan University of Technology, Poland (2006)Google Scholar