Multicost Routing over an Infinite Time Horizon in Energy and Capacity Constrained Wireless Ad-Hoc Networks
In this work we study the dynamic one-to-one communication problem in energy- and capacity-constrained wireless ad-hoc networks. The performance of such networks is evaluated under random traffic generation and continuous energy recharging at the nodes over an infinite-time horizon. We are interested in the maximum throughput that can be sustained by the network with the node queues being finite and in the average packet delay for a given throughput. We propose a multicost energy-aware routing algorithm and compare its performance to that of minimum-hop routing. The results of our experiments show that generally the energy-aware algorithm achieves a higher maximum throughput than the minimum-hop algorithm. More specifically, when the network is mainly energy-constrained and for the 2-dimensional topology considered, the throughput of the proposed energy-aware routing algorithm is found to be almost twice that of the minimum-hop algorithm.
KeywordsTransmission Range Residual Energy Packet Transmission Recharge Rate Maximum Throughput
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Bertsekas, D., Gallagher, R.: Data Networks. Prentice-Hall, Englewood CliffsGoogle Scholar
- 3.Deng, J., Haas, Z.: Dual Busy Tone Multiple Access (DBTMA): A New Medium Access Control for Packet Radio Networks. In: IEEE ICUPC 1998, Florence, Italy (1998)Google Scholar
- 4.Gupta, N., Das, S.R.: Energy-Aware On-Demand Routing for Mobile Ad Hoc Networks. In: Proc. 4th Int’l Workshop on Distributed Computing, Mobile and Wireless Computing, pp. 164–173 (2002)Google Scholar
- 5.Gupta, P., Kumar, P.: Capacity of wireless networks Technical report, University of Illinois, Urbana-Champaign (1999)Google Scholar
- 6.Gutierrez, F.J., Varvarigos, E., Vassiliadis, S.: Multi-cost routing in Max-Min fair share networks. In: Proc. 38th Ann. Allerton Conf. on Communication, Control and Computing, vol. 2, pp. 1294–1304 (2000)Google Scholar
- 7.Kokkinos, P., Papageorgiou, C., Varvarigos, E.: Energy Aware Routing in Wireless Ad Hoc Networks. In: Proc. of the IEEE Int’l Conf. on a World of Wireless, Mobile, and Multimedia Networks (WoWMoM 2005), Taormina, Italy (2005)Google Scholar
- 8.Li, J., Blake, C., De Couto, D.S.J., Lee, H.I., Morris, R.: Capacity of Ad Hoc wireless networks. In: Proc. 7th Ann. Int’l Conf. on Mobile Computing and Networking, pp. 61–69 (2001)Google Scholar
- 9.NS - Network Simulator: http://www.isi.edu/nsnam/
- 10.Rodoplu, V., Meng, T.: Minimum energy mobile wireless networks. In: Proc. IEEE Int’l Conf. on Communications, pp. 1633–1639 (1998)Google Scholar