Study on the Geolocation Algorithm of Space-Borne SAR Image
SAR (Synthetic Aperture Radar) images have been widely used nowadays, as the SAR system is capable of scanning the earth surface objects into high resolution images. Before the SAR images are used, the geolocation step is needed to locate arbitrary pixels in an image accurately. Geolocation is very important in geometric rectification, geocoding, as well as object location and detection in the SAR image. In this paper, we propose a novel geolocation algorithm, which is a hybrid of an iterative algorithm and the conventional analytic algorithm based on Range-Doppler (RD) location model. First a new analytic algorithm adopted in our approach is presented. Next, in order to correct the geometry and terrain height, an iterative routine is integrated into the procedure. The experiment results indicate that our algorithm is efficient and can achieve higher accuracies compared with three state-of-the-art location algorithms.
KeywordsSynthetic Aperture Radar Location Accuracy Local Coordinate System Pixel Location Earth Center
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Konecny, G., Schuhr, W.: Reliability of Radar Image Data. In: 16th ISPRS Congress, Comm., Tokyo, vol. 3 (1988)Google Scholar
- 2.Leberl, F.: Radargrammetry for Iamge Interpretation. ITC Technical Report (1978)Google Scholar
- 3.Radarsat International: Technical Documents For Radarsat Network Stations (1997)Google Scholar
- 4.Brown, W.E.: Application of SEASAT SAR Digitally Corrected Imagery for Sea Ice Dynamics. In: Amer. Geophys. Union Spring 1981 Meeting (1981)Google Scholar
- 6.Curlander, J.C., McDonough, R.N.: Synthetic Aperture Radar: Systems and Signal Processing, New York (1991)Google Scholar
- 7.Zhou, J.: Development of Two Practical R-D Location Model and Precision Comparison Between Them. Journal of Remote Sensing 5(3), 191–197 (2001)Google Scholar
- 8.Olmsted, C.: Alaska SAR Facility Scientific SAR User’s Guide (1993), http://www.asf.alaska.edu/reference/general/SciSARuserGuide.pdf
- 10.Yuan, X.: The Location Method for Targets in Satellite-borne SAR. Aerospace Shanghai 6, 51–57 (1997)Google Scholar
- 11.Chen, E., Li, Z.: Study on the Geocoding Algorithm of Space borne SAR Image. High Technology Letters 2, 56–62 (2000)Google Scholar
- 12.Chen, E.: Study on Ortho-rectification Methodology of Space-borne Synthetic Aperture Radar Imagery [D]. Chinese Academy of Forestry, Beijing (2004)Google Scholar