Allen Linear (Interval) Temporal Logic – Translation to LTL and Monitor Synthesis
The relationship between two well established formalisms for temporal reasoning is first investigated, namely between Allen’s interval algebra (or Allen’s temporal logic, abbreviated ATL) and linear temporal logic (LTL). A discrete variant of ATL is defined, called Allen linear temporal logic (ALTL), whose models are ω-sequences of timepoints. It is shown that any ALTL formula can be linearly translated into an equivalent LTL formula, thus enabling the use of LTL techniques on ALTL requirements. This translation also implies the NP-completeness of ATL satisfiability. Then the problem of monitoring ALTL requirements is investigated, showing that it reduces to checking satisfiability; the similar problem for unrestricted LTL is known to require exponential space. An effective monitoring algorithm for ALTL is given, which has been implemented and experimented with in the context of planning applications.
KeywordsState Machine Temporal Logic Linear Temporal Logic Atomic Proposition Temporal Reasoning
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 2.Calvanese, D., De Giacomo, G., Vardi, M.Y.: Reasoning about actions and planning in LTL action theories. In: KR, pp. 593–602 (2002)Google Scholar
- 4.Ghallab, M., Alaoui, A.M.: Managing efficiently temporal relations through indexed spanning trees. In: IJCAI, pp. 1297–1303 (1989)Google Scholar
- 6.Lacroix, S., Mallet, A., Bonnafous, D., Bauzil, G., Fleury, S., Herrb, M., Chatila, R.: Autonomous rover navigation on unknown terrains, functions and integration. International Journal of Robotics Research (2003)Google Scholar
- 7.Moskewicz, M., Madigan, C., Zhao, Y., Zhang, L., Malik, S.: Chaff: Engineering an Efficient SAT Solver. In: Design Automation Conference (DAC 2001) (June 2001)Google Scholar
- 8.Pnueli, A.: The temporal logic of programs. In: Proceedings of the 18th Annual Symposium on Foundations of Computer Science, New York. IEEE, Los Alamitos (1977)Google Scholar
- 9.Roşu, G., Bensalem, S.: Allen linear (interval) temporal logic – translation to LTL and monitor synthesis. Technical Report UIUCDCS-R-2006-2681, University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign (January 2006)Google Scholar
- 12.Vilain, M., Kautz, H., van Beek, P.: Constraint propagation algorithms for temporal reasoning: a revised report. In: Readings in Qualitative Reasoning about Phyisical Systems. Morgan Kaufmann, Los Altos (1989)Google Scholar