Deriving Small Unsatisfiable Cores with Dominators
The problem of finding a small unsatisfiable core of an unsatisfiable CNF formula is addressed. The proposed algorithm, Trimmer, iterates over each internal node d in the resolution graph that ‘consumes’ a large number of clauses M (i.e. a large number of original clauses are present in the unsat core only for proving d) and attempts to prove them without the M clauses. If this is possible, it transforms the resolution graph into a new graph that does not have the M clauses at its core. Trimmer can be integrated into a fixpoint framework similarly to Malik and Zhang’s fix-point algorithm (run_till_fix). We call this option trim_till_fix. Experimental evaluation on a large number of industrial CNF unsatisfiable formulas shows that trim_till_fix doubles, on average, the number of reduced clauses in comparison to run_till_fix. It is also better when used as a component in a bigger system that enforces short timeouts.
KeywordsSink Node Small Core Unit Clause Resolution Step Empty Clause
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 5.Gupta, A.: Learning Abstractions for Model Checking. PhD thesis, Carnegie Mellon University (to be published, 2006)Google Scholar
- 6.Huang, J.: Mup: A minimal unsatisfiability prover. In: Proc. of the 10th Asia and South Pacific Design Automation Conference (ASP-DAC), pp. 432–437 (2005)Google Scholar
- 7.Koifman, M.: An approach to extracting a small unsatisfiable core. M.sc. thesis, Technion - I.I.T., Israel, Haifa (to be published, 2006)Google Scholar
- 10.Lynce, I., Marques-Silva, J.: On computing minimum unsatisfiable cores. In: Proceedings of the International Symposium on Theory and Applications of Satisfiability Testing, pp. 305–310 (2004)Google Scholar
- 11.Oh, Y., Mneimneh, M.N., Andraus, Z.S., Sakallah, K.A., Markov, I.L.: Amuse: a minimally-unsatisfiable subformula extractor. In: DAC 2004, pp. 518–523 (2004)Google Scholar
- 13.Prosser, R.: Applications of boolean matrices to the analysis of flow diagrams. In: Proceedings of the Eastern Joint Computer Conference, pp. 133–138 (1959)Google Scholar