A Genetic Algorithm for Optimization of Bandwidth Assignment in Hose-Modeled VPN
Quality of Service (QoS) and Traffic Engineering (TE) capabilities are two important techniques in IP networks to support real-time applications. Multi Protocol Label Switching (MPLS) plays an important role in terms of QoS and TE provisioning. The paper investigates the optimal resource allocation in MPLS-based VPN. Firstly the hose model is introduced; then, the traffic engineering using hose model to provide multi-VPN services in MPLS network is formulated. A genetic algorithm (GA) for the optimization of the bandwidth assignment in hose-modeled VPN to provide multi services is presented. The optimal model and instances of the algorithm are given too. The results of the instances show that the proposed method can balance the network load and is simple to be implemented.
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Blake, S., Black, D., Carlson, M., et al.: An Architecture for Differentiated Services. RFC 2475 (December 1998)Google Scholar
- 2.Rosen, E., Viswanathan, A., Callon, R.: Multiprotocol Label Switching Architecture. RFC 3031 (January 2001)Google Scholar
- 3.Duffield, N.G., Goyal, P., et al.: A Flexible Model for Resource Management in Virtual PrivateNetworks. In: Proc. ACM Sigcomm Comput. Commun. REV, vol. 29, pp. 95–108 (1999)Google Scholar
- 4.Duffield, N.G., Goyal, P., et al.: Resource Management With Hoses:Point-to-Cloud Services for Virtual Private Networks. IEEE/ACM Transactions on Networking 10(5) (October 2002)Google Scholar
- 5.Tequila Consortium.: D3.4, Final System Evaluation -Part B (October 2002)Google Scholar
- 6.Kumar, A., Rastogi, R., et al.: Algorithms for Provisioning Virtual Private Networks in the Hose Model. IEEE/ACM Transactions on Networking 10(4) (August 2002)Google Scholar
- 7.Ash., J.: Max Allocation with Reservation Bandwidth Constraints Model for Diffserv-aware MPLS Traffic Engineering & Performance Comparisons RFC4126 (June 2005)Google Scholar
- 8.User’s Guide.: Genetic Algorithm and Direct Search Toolbox for Use with MATLAB. The MathWorks (2004)Google Scholar