A Neural Network Model for Online Handwritten Mathematical Symbol Recognition
This paper proposes a new handwritten mathematical symbol recognition system that is flexible enough to let the users write the symbols in their own ways. They do not have to learn a completely new way of writing symbols. The proposed approach involves two main stages: online and offline. During the online stage, the input is classified into one of the four groups. During the offline stage, the new neural network, called Hausdorff ARTMAP, which is specifically designed for solving two dimensional binary pattern recognition problems is used to identify the symbols. The proposed model is tested in a writer independent mode using the researcher’s own collected database. The result obtained is very encouraging.
KeywordsInput Pattern Hausdorff Distance Cluster Node Stroke Position Mathematical Symbol
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Koschinski, M., Winkler, H.J., Lang, M.: Segmentation and Recognition of Symbols within Handwritten Mathematical Expressions. In: Proceedings of the IEEE International Conference on Acoustics, Speech, and Signal Processing, vol. 4, pp. 2439–2442 (1995)Google Scholar
- 2.Tanaka, H., Iwayama, N., Akiyama, K.: Online Handwriting Recognition Technology and Its Applications. Fujitsu Scientific & Technical Journal 40(1), 170–178 (2004)Google Scholar
- 3.Tanaka, H., Nakajima, K., Ishigaki, K., Akiyama, K., Nakagawa, M.: Hybrid Pen-Input Character Recognition System Based on Integration of Online-Offline Recognition. In: Proceedings of the Fifth International Conference on Document Analysis and Recognition, pp. 209–212 (1999)Google Scholar
- 4.Vinciarelli, A., Perrone, M.: Combining Online and Offline Handwriting Recognition. In: Proceedings of the Seventh International Conference on Document Analysis and Recognition, pp. 844–848 (2003)Google Scholar
- 5.Gauthier, N., Artières, T., Dorizzi, B., Gallinari, P.: Strategies for Combining On-line and Off-line Information in an On-line Handwriting Recognition System. In: Proceedings of the Sixth International Conference on Document Analysis and Recognition, pp. 412–416 (2001)Google Scholar