A Capacitated Production Planning with Outsourcing: A General Model and Its Algorithm
This paper addresses a capacitated production planning (CPP) problem with outsourcing. Specially, the outsourcing problem considered in this paper has the following features: (1) all demands are met by production, inventory, outsourcing, and sale loss without postponement or backlog; (2) The goal of the solution to this problem is to minimize the total cost covering the production, setup, inventory holding, sale loss, and outsourcing activities; (3) different from previous studies which usually involved some special assumptions on the cost function for these activities, the cost function structure we consider in this paper are arbitrary and time-varying; and (4) we consider a general problem situation where the production, inventory, and outsourcing have a capacity limitation. It is likely that there is no solution in the model due to the consideration of such general cost functions and many constraints, hence we employ a Bellman/Ford algorithm for checking feasible solutions of the problem and resulting in a feasible solution region. After that, a proposed algorithm is applied for searching a global optimal solution with in the feasible solution region.
KeywordsInventory Level Global Optimal Solution General Cost Function Feasible Solution Space Alliance Company
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Rochester, J., Douglas, D.: Taking an Objective Look at Outsourcing. IS Analyzer 28, 1–16 (1990)Google Scholar
- 2.Rochester, J., Douglas, D.: New Wrinkles in IS Outsourcing. IS Analyzer 31, 1–18 (1993)Google Scholar
- 7.Liu, X.: Models and Algorithms for Capacitated Lot Sizing Problems. Ph.D Thesis. Université de Technologie de Troyes, France (2004)Google Scholar
- 8.LeeHsu, S.C.L.: Outsourcing Capacity Planning for an IC Design House. International Journal of Advanced Manufacturing Technology 24, 306–320 (2004)Google Scholar
- 9.Liu, X., Wang, C., Luo, X., Wang, D.: A Model and Algorithm for Outsourcing Planning. In: IEEE International Conference on e-Business Engineering, Beijing, China, 18-21 October, pp. 195–198 (2005)Google Scholar