A Constrained Ant Colony Algorithm for Image Registration
Ant Colony optimization takes inspiration from the behavior of real ant colony to solve optimization problems. We attach some constraints to ant colony model and present a parallel constrained ant colony model to solve the image registration problem. The problem is represented by a directed graph so that the objective of the original problem becomes to find the shortest closed circuit on the graph under the problem-specific constraints. A number of artificial ants are distributed on the graph and communicate with one another through the pheromone trails which are a form of the long-term memory guiding the future exploration of the graph. The algorithm supports the parallel computation and facilitates quick convergence to the optimal solution. The performance of the proposed method as compared to those of the genetic-based approaches is very promising.
KeywordsImage Registration Landmark Point Registration Result Image Registration Problem Pheromone Intensity
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Dorigo, M.: Optimization, Learning and Natural Algorithms. Ph.D. Thesis, Italy (1992)Google Scholar
- 2.Bullnheimer, B., Hartl, R.F., Strauss, C.: Applying the Ant System to the Vehicle Routing Problem. In: The Second Metaheuristics International Conference, France (1997)Google Scholar
- 3.Bauer, A., Bullnheimer, B., Hartl, R.F.: An Ant Colony Optimization Approach for the Single Machine Tool Tardiness Problem. In: Proceeding of the Congress on Evolutionary Computation, pp. 1445–1450 (1999)Google Scholar
- 4.McMullen, P.R.: An Ant Colony Optimization Approach to Addressing a JIT Sequencing Problem with Multiple Objectives. Artificial Intelligence, 309–317 (2001)Google Scholar
- 8.Can, A., Stewart, C.V.: A Feature-based, Robust, Hierarchical Algorithm for Registration Pairs of Images of the Curved Human Retina. IEEE Transaction on Pattern Analysis and Machine Intelligence 24(3) (2002)Google Scholar
- 9.Pennec, X., Aysche, N., Thirion, J.P.: Landmark-based Registration Using Feature Identified Through Differential Geometry. Handbook of Medical Imaging, pp. 499–513. Academic Press, London (2000)Google Scholar
- 12.Pan, J., Zheng, J., Yang, X.: Locally Constrained Deformation for Digital Images. Journal of Computer-Aided Design & Computer Graphics 14(5) (2002)Google Scholar