Semi-supervised PCA-Based Face Recognition Using Self-training
Performances of face recognition systems based on principal component analysis can degrade quickly when input images exhibit substantial variations, due for example to changes in illumination or pose, compared to the templates collected during the enrolment stage. On the other hand, a lot of new unlabelled face images, which could be potentially used to update the templates and re-train the system, are made available during the system operation. In this paper a semi-supervised version, based on the self-training method, of the classical PCA-based face recognition algorithm is proposed to exploit unlabelled data for off-line updating of the eigenspace and the templates. Reported results show that the exploitation of unlabelled data by self-training can substantially improve the performances achieved with a small set of labelled training examples.
KeywordsFace Recognition Face Image Unlabelled Data Face Recognition System Enrolment Stage
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 3.Liu, X., Chen, T., Thornton, S.M.: Eigenspace updating for non-stationary process and its application to face recognition. Pattern Recognition, Special issue on Kernel and Subspace Methods for Computer Vision, 1945–1959 (2003)Google Scholar
- 4.Sukthankar, R., Stockton, R.: Argus: the digital doorman. IEEE Intelligent Systems, 14–19 (March/April 2001)Google Scholar
- 5.Okada, K., von der Malsburg, C.: Automatic video indexing with incremental gallery creation: integration of recognition and knowledge acquisition. In: Proceedings of ATR Symposium on Face and Object Recognition, Kyoto, July 19-23, pp. 153–154 (1999)Google Scholar
- 6.Okada, K., Kite, L., von der Malsburg, C.: An adaptive person recognition system. In: Proceedings of the IEEE International Workshop on Robot-Human Interactive Communication, Bordeaux/Paris, pp. 436–441 (2001)Google Scholar
- 7.Zhu, X.: Semi-supervised learning literature survey, Technical report, Computer Sciences TR 1530, Univ. Wisconsis, Madison, USA (January 2006)Google Scholar
- 8.Balcan, M.F., Blum, A., Choi, P.P., Lafferty, J., Pantano, B., Rwebangira, M.R., Zhu, X.: Person Identification in Webcam Images: An Application of Semi-Supervised Learning. In: ICML 2005 Workshop on Learning with Partially Classified Training Data, Bonn, Germany, August 7 (2005)Google Scholar
- 9.Martinez, A., Benavente, R.: The AR Face Database. CVC Technical Report #24 (June 1998)Google Scholar