Bayesian Class-Matched Multinet Classifier
A Bayesian multinet classifier allows a different set of independence assertions among variables in each of a set of local Bayesian networks composing the multinet. The structure of the local network is usually learned using a joint-probability-based score that is less specific to classification, i.e., classifiers based on structures providing high scores are not necessarily accurate. Moreover, this score is less discriminative for learning multinet classifiers because generally it is computed using only the class patterns and avoiding patterns of the other classes. We propose the Bayesian class-matched multinet (BCM2) classifier to tackle both issues. The BCM2 learns each local network using a detection-rejection measure, i.e., the accuracy in simultaneously detecting class patterns while rejecting patterns of the other classes. This classifier demonstrates superior accuracy to other state-of-the-art Bayesian network and multinet classifiers on 32 real-world databases.
KeywordsClassification Accuracy Bayesian Network Local Network Joint Probability Distribution Class Pattern
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Pearl, J.: Probabilistic Reasoning in Intelligent Systems: Networks of Plausible Inference. Morgan Kaufmann, San Francisco (1988)Google Scholar
- 3.Cheng, J., Greiner, R.: Learning Bayesian belief network classifiers: Algorithms and system. In: Proc. 14th Canadian Conf. on Artificial Intelligence, pp. 141–151 (2001)Google Scholar
- 5.Huang, K., King, I., Lyu, M.R.: Discriminative training of Bayesian Chow-Liu multinet classifier. In: Proc. Int. Joint Conf. Neural Networks, pp. 484–488 (2003)Google Scholar
- 6.Kontkanen, P., Myllymaki, P., Sliander, T., Tirri, H.: On supervised selection of Bayesian networks. In: Proc. 15th Conf. on Uncertainty in Artificial Intelligence, pp. 334–342 (1999)Google Scholar
- 11.Spirtes, P., Glymour, C., Scheines, R.: Causation, Prediction and Search, 2nd edn. MIT Press, Cambridge (2000)Google Scholar
- 12.Gurwicz, Y.: Classification using Bayesian multinets. M.Sc. Thesis. Ben-Gurion University, Israel (2004)Google Scholar
- 13.Blake, C.L., Merz, C.J.: UCI Repository of machine learning databases (1998), http://www.ics.uci.edu/~mlearn/MLRepository.html