List-Mode Affine Rebinning for Respiratory Motion Correction in PET Cardiac Imaging
Positron Emission Tomography (PET) is an established functional imaging modality but its practical deployment is hampered by motion artefacts. This paper proposes a method for correcting reconstructed PET images through a list-mode rebinning process. Respiratory motion is compensated for by applying 2D affine transforms to the respiratory gated sequence of line-of-response events prior to image reconstruction. The affine transforms are derived from a non-rigid 3D/3D registration model derived from retrospectively gated MRI acquisitions of the same patient with free-breathing. The proposed motion correction scheme is evaluated with a simulation framework where the improvement in image quality is assessed by using data acquired from 10 normal subjects.
KeywordsPositron Emission Tomography Positron Emission Tomography Image Motion Correction Positron Emission Tomography Data Respiratory Gating
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 2.Reutter, B.W., Lim, S., Huesman, R.H., Coxson, P.G., Klein, G.J., Budinger, T.F.: Cardiac creep during rest/stress myocardial perfusion studies – patient motion and lung air redistribution. Journal of Nuclear Medicine 37(suppl. 5), 131 (1996)Google Scholar
- 3.Nehmeh, S.A., Erdi, Y.E., Ling, C.C., Rosenzweig, K.E., Schoder, H., Larson, S.M., Macapinlac, H.A., Squire, O.D., Humm, J.L.: Effect of Respiratory Gating on Quantifying PET Images of Lung Cancer. Journal of Nuclear Medicine 43(7), 876–881 (2002)Google Scholar
- 4.Runge, V.M., Clanton, J.A., Partain, C.L., Jr., A.E.J.: Respiratory gating in magnetic resonance imaging at 0.5 Tesla. Radiology 151, 521–523 (1984)Google Scholar
- 6.Dawood, M., Lang, N., Jiang, X., Schäfers, K.P.: Lung Motion Correction on Respiratory Gated 3D PET/CT Images. IEEE Transactions on Medical Imaging: Special Issue on Pulmonary Imaging 25(4) (2006)Google Scholar
- 8.Koss, J.E., Kirch, D.L., Little, E.P., Johnson, T.K., Steele, P.P.: Advantages of list-mode acquisition of high resolution dynamic cardiac data. In: Proceedings of Nuclear Science Symposium, Anaheim, CA, USA, pp. 1397–1401 (1996)Google Scholar
- 9.Livieratos, L., Rajappan, K., Stegger, L., Schafers, K., Bailey, D., Camici, P.: Respiratory gating of cardiac PET data in list-mode acquisition. European Journal of Nuclear Medicine and Molecular Imaging, 1–5 (2006)Google Scholar