Obstacles and Misunderstandings Facing Medical Data Mining
Medical Data Mining is a very active and challenging research area in Data Mining community. However researchers entering Medical Data Mining should be aware that in core clinical, dentistry and nursing, data mining is not welcomed as much as we believe and publication of results in these journals based on Data Mining algorithms is not easily possible. In this paper, in addition to presenting one of our “successful” KDD projects in Urology that did not get to anywhere, we back up our belief based on designed searches on PubMed and review literature based on these searches. Our findings suggest that few Data Mining algorithms made their ways into core clinical journals. The paper concludes by reasons we have collected through our experiences.
KeywordsData Mining Data Mining Algorithm Human African Trypanosomiasis Bayesian Neural Network Damage Control Laparotomy
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 4.McAullay, D., Williams, G., Chen, J., Jin, H., He, H., Sparks, R., Kelman, C.: A Delivery Framework for Health Data Mining and Analytics. In: The 28th Australasian Computer Science Conference. Conferences in Research and Practice in Information Technology, The University of Newcastle, Australia, vol. 38 (2005)Google Scholar
- 8.http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/entrez/query.fcgi?DB=pubmed (last visited April 15, 2006)
- 9.Zaiane, O.: Personal communications of first author through email during February and March (2006)Google Scholar
- 11.Aoki, N., Wall, M.J., Demsar, J., et al.: Predictive model for survival at the conclusion of a damage control laparotomy. Am. J. Surg. 180(6), 540-4, discussion 544-5 (December 2000)Google Scholar
- 13.Elevitch, F.R., Silvers, A., Sahl, J.D.: Projecting corporate health plan utilization and charges from annual ICD-9-CM diagnostic rates: a value-added opportunity for pathologists. Arch. Pathol. Lab. Med. 121(11), 1187–1191 (1997)Google Scholar
- 17.Zoutman, D.E., Ford, B.D., Bassili, A.R.: A call for the regulation of prescription data mining. CMAJ 163(9), 1146–1148 (2000)Google Scholar
- 20.Mundt, J.C., Freed, D.M., Greist, J.H.: Lay person-based screening for early detection of Alzheimer’s disease: development and validation of an instrument. J. Gerontol B Psychol. Sci. Soc. Sci 55(3), P163–170 (2000)Google Scholar