A Fault Tolerant System Using Collaborative Agents
Replication of data or processes is an effective way to provide enhanced performance, high availability and fault tolerance in distributed systems. For instance, in systems based on the client-server model, a server may serve many clients and because of heavy loads, the server cannot respond to the requests on time. In such a case, replicating data or servers may improve performance. Moreover, data and processes can be replicated to protect against failures. However, this is a very complex procedure. In this paper, I propose a method, to make systems fault tolerant based on replication, by way of exploiting the use of collaborative agents. This method is also used to improve fault tolerance in multi-agent systems.
KeywordsMultiagent System Mobile Agent Failure Detector Sequencer Agent Fault Tolerant System
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.The ISIS Project, http://www.cs.cornell.edu/Info/Projects/Isis/
- 2.The Horus Project, http://www.cs.cornell.edu/Info/Projects/HORUS/
- 3.Cristian, F., et al.: Fault-Tolerance in the Advanced Automation System. In: 20th International Conference on Fault-Tolerant Computing, Newcastle upon Tyne, England (1990)Google Scholar
- 4.Mishra, S.: Consul: A Communication Substrate for Fault-Tolerant Distributed Programs. Ph.D thesis, Dept. of Computer Science, Univ. of Arizona, Tuscon, Arizona (1992)Google Scholar
- 6.Elmootazbellah, N., et al.: Replicated Distributed Processes. In: Proceedings of the Twenty-Second International Symposium on Fault Tolerant Computing (FTCS-22), pp. 18–27 (1992)Google Scholar
- 7.Shokri, E., et al.: An Approach for Adaptive Fault-Tolerance in Object-Oriented Open Distributed Systems. In: Workshop on Object-Oriented Reliable Distributed Systems (1997)Google Scholar
- 8.Ren, J., Cukier, M., Rubel, P., Sanders, W., Karr, D.: Building Dependable Distributed Applications using AQuA. In: Proceeding of the 4th IEEE International Symp. On High Assurance Systems Engineering, pp. 189–196 (1999)Google Scholar
- 11.Grasshopper Programmer’s Guide, http://www.grasshopper.de