Interactive Face-Replacements for Modeling Detailed Shapes
In this paper, we present a method that allows novice users to interactively create partially self-similar manifold surfaces without relying on shape grammars or fractal methods. Moreover, the surfaces created using our method are connected. The modelers that are based on traditional fractal methods or shape grammars usually create disconnected surfaces and restrict the creative freedom of users. In most cases, the shapes are defined by hard-coded schemes that provide only a few parameters that can be adjusted by the users. We present a new approach for modeling such shapes. With this approach, novice users can interactively create a variety of unusual and interesting partially self-similar manifold surfaces.
KeywordsFractal Method Iterate Function System Side Face Novice User Subdivision Surface
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Elber, G.: Geometric texture modeling. IEEE Computer Graphics and Applications (25)Google Scholar
- 2.Bhat, P., Ingram, S., Turk, G.: Geometric texture synthesis by example. In: Proc. Eurographics Symposium on Geometry Processing, pp. 8–10 (2004)Google Scholar
- 5.Landreneau, E., Akleman, E., Srinivasan, V.: Local Mesh Operations. In: Proceedings of the International Conference on Shape Modeling and Applications, pp. 351–356 (2005)Google Scholar
- 6.Fournier, A., Fussel, D., Carpenter, L.: Computer rendering of stochastic models. In: Proceedings of Computer Graphics, Siggraph, pp. 97–110 (1982)Google Scholar
- 7.Srinivasan, V., Akleman, E.: Connected and manifold sierpinski polyhedra. In: Proceedings of Solid Modeling and Applications, pp. 261–266 (2004)Google Scholar
- 8.Akleman, E., Srinivasan, V., Melek, Z., Edmundson, P.: Semi-regular pentagonal subdivision. In: Proceedings of the International Conference on Shape Modeling and Applications, pp. 110–118 (2004)Google Scholar
- 9.Mandelbrot, B.: The Fractal Geometry of Nature. W. H. Freeman and Co., New York (1980)Google Scholar
- 10.Loop, C.: Smooth subdivision surfaces based on triangles. Master’s thesis, University of Utah (1987)Google Scholar
- 11.Thornton, G., Sterling, V.: Xenodream software (2005), http://www.xenodream.com