Palmprint Recognition Based on Improved 2DPCA
Palmprint recognition received many researchers’ attention because of it’s low resolution and cheap devices. As other biometrics, algebraic feature is the prevailing method for palmprint recognition. PCA (principal component analysis) is one prevailing algebraic transformation. It has been a successful feature detection method for pattern recognition. It deals with image vector whose dimension is usually high. 2DPCA is a novel PCA method for image matrix, and it can calculate the covariance matrix more precise. In this paper we apply the new 2DPCA method to palmprint recognition, and we make an improvement in the selection of principal components. In our method we select the principal component that is better for classification. At last we do the improved 2DPCA on the row and column direction to reduce dimension in both direction. Then we apply the method to PolyU Palmprint Database. The experiment result shows that our method got more recognition rate with lower dimensions.
KeywordsRecognition Rate Projection Vector Image Vector Total Scatter Palmprint Image
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Wu, X., Wang, K., Zhang, D.: A novel approach of palm-line extraction. In: Proc. Third int’l Conf. Image and Graphics, December 18-20, 2004, pp. 230–233 (2004)Google Scholar
- 2.Wu, X.-Q., Wang, K.-Q., Zhang, D.: Wavelet based palm print recognition. In: Proc. IEEE int’l Conf. Machine Learning and Cybernetics, November 4-5, 2002, vol. 3, pp. 1253–1257 (2002)Google Scholar
- 5.Zuo, W.-M., Wu, K.-Q., Zhang, D.: Assembled Matrix Distance Metric for 2DPCA-Based Face and Palmprint Recognition. In: Proc. Fourth IEEE int’l Conf. Machine Learning and Cybernetics, August 18-21, 2005, vol. 8, pp. 4870–4875 (2005)Google Scholar
- 7.Zuo, W., Ang, K., Zhang, D.: Bi-Dierectional PCA with Assembled MatrixDistance Metric. In: Proc. 12th IEEE int’l Conf. ICIP, Sepember 11-14, 2005, vol. 2, pp. 958–961 (2005)Google Scholar
- 9.PolyU Palmprint database available: http://www.comp.polyu.edu.hk/~biometrics/