Multiagent Reinforcement Learning for a Planetary Exploration Multirobot System
In a planetary rover system called “SMC rover”, the motion coordination between robots is a key problem to be solved. Multiagent reinforcement learning methods for multirobot coordination strategy learning are investigated. A reinforcement learning based coordination mechanism is proposed for the exploration system. Four-robot climbing a slope is studied in detail as an instance. The actions of the robots are divided into two layers and realized respectively, which simplified the complexity of the climbing task. A Q-Learning based multirobot coordination strategy mechanism is proposed for the climbing mission. An OpenGL 3D simulation platform is used to verify the strategy and the learning results.
KeywordsJoint Angle Reinforcement Learning Multiagent System Coordination Strategy Single Robot
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Dias, M.B., Stentz, A.: A market approach to multirobot coordination. Technical Report CMU-RI-TR-01-26, Robotics Institute, Carnegie Mellon University (2001)Google Scholar
- 2.Yang, E., Gu, D.: Multiagent Reinforcement Learning for Multi-Robot Systems: A Survey. Technical Report CSM–404, Department of Computer Science, University of Essex (2004)Google Scholar
- 5.Shoham, Y., Powers, R., Grenager, T.: Multi-agent reinforcement learning: a critical survey. Technical report, Stanford University (2003)Google Scholar
- 6.Liu, J., Jin, X., Zhang, S.: Autonomous Agents and Multi-Agent Systems: Explorations in Learning. In: Self-Organization and Adaptive Computation, November 2003, Tsinghua Univer-sity Press (2003)Google Scholar
- 7.Sutton, R.S., Barto, A.G.: Reinforcement Learning: An introduction. MIT Press, Cambridge, MA (1998)Google Scholar
- 8.Kaelbling, L.P., Littman, M.L., Moore, A.W.: Reinforcement learning: A survey. Journal of Artificial Intelligence Research (1996)Google Scholar
- 9.Mitchell, T.M.: Machine Learning. China Machine Press (March 2003)Google Scholar
- 10.Tan, M.: Multi-agent reinforcement learning: Independent vs. cooperative agents. In: Pro-ceedings of the Tenth International Conference on Machine Learning, pp. 330–337 (1993)Google Scholar
- 11.Zhang, Z., Ma, S.G., Li, B., Zhang, L.P., Gang, B.G.: OpenGL Based Experimental Plat-form for Simulation of Reconfigurable Planetary Robot System. Journal of System Simula-tion 17(4), 885–888 (2005)Google Scholar
- 12.Zhang, Z., Ma, S.G., Li, B., Zhang, L.P., Cao, B.G.: Communication Mechanism Study of a Planetary Exploration Multi-Robot System. Robot 28(3), 309–315 (2006)Google Scholar