Towards a Customized Methodology to Develop Multi-Agent Systems
Despite a great deal of research, there still exists a number of challenges before making agent-based computing a widely accepted paradigm in software engineering practice. In order to realize an engineering change in agent oriented software engineering, it’s necessary to turn agent oriented software abstractions into practical tools for facing the complexity of modern application areas. The paper presents a customizable development architecture for multi-agent systems, which can empower the developer to assemble a methodology tailored to the given project by putting appropriate meta models together, much like developers building applications from third party off-the-shelf components. To exemplify its feasibility and effectivity, the construction of C4I system is presented as a case study.
KeywordsMultiagent System Meta Model Case Tool Common Object Request Broker Architecture Development Architecture
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Jennings, N.R.: An agent-based approach for building complex software system. Commun, ACM 44(4), 35–41Google Scholar
- 2.Gervais, M., Gomez, J., Weiss, G.: A survey on agent-oriented software engineering researches. In: Methodologies and Software Engineering for Agent Systems, Kluwer, NewYork (2004)Google Scholar
- 3.Zambonelli, F., Omicini, A.: Challenges and research directions in agent-oriented software engineering. In: Autonomous Agents and Multi-Agent System, pp. 253–283 (2004)Google Scholar
- 4.Dam, K.H., Winikoff, M.: Comparing Agent-Oriented Methodologies. In: Proc. of 5nd International Workshop on Agent Oriented Software Engineering (2003)Google Scholar
- 5.Shehory, O., Sturm, A.: Evaluation of modeling techniques for agent-based systems. In: Proceedings of the 5th International Conference on Autonomous Agents, ACM Press, Montreal (2001)Google Scholar
- 6.Juan, T., Sterling, L., Martelli, M., Mascardi, V.: Customizing AOSE Methodologies by Reusing AOSE Features. In: Proc. 2nd Int. Conference on Autonomous Agents and Multi-Agent Systems, July 2003, Melbourne Australia (2003)Google Scholar
- 7.Guizzardi, R.S.S., Dignum, V., Perini, A., Wagner, G.: Towards an Integrated Methodology to Develop KM Solutions with the Support of Agents. In: Proceedings of the International Conference on Integration of Knowledge Intensive Multi-Agent Systems, Waltham, Massachusetts (2005)Google Scholar
- 8.Gamma, E., Johnson, R., Helm, R., Vlissides, J.M.: Design Patterns: Elements of Reusable Object-Oriented Software. Addison-Wesley, Reading (1994)Google Scholar
- 11.Collins, J., Ndumu, D.: ZEUS methodology documentation, http://www.labs.bt.com/projects/agents/index.htm